Backfiring through carby (popping noise) - solution

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanoOz

Reaction score
Hey guys, there are a lot of posts regarding this topic that are spread over a number of threads so I thought I would consolidate them into one post to help someone else who may have the same problem I recently had.

The problem I had on my brand new Atomik 250 (Loncin engine, mukuni carb) was that the engine wouldn't start without heaps of priming and when it did eventually kick over, it would run rough, coughing and backfiring until it cut out. The following is what I did to remedy the situation:

1. Changed the oil - replaced the Chinese glue it came with to a premium 10w-40 synthetic oil.
2. Changed the sparkplug - although my Atomik came with an NGK sparkplug, I have doubts whether it was a genuine product. When I bought a replacement NGK, I compared the two and the difference in quality was pretty apparent - the replacement also had the words "NGK Japan" engraved in it whereas the original only had "NGK".
3. Cleaned the Carby - took the air filter off, cleaned out the carbie, and double checked to see which way the choke lever worked. On mine (and it seems on most Chinese bikes) the choke is applied by lifting up on the lever, which is the opposite that you would think.

After doing the changes above, and leaving the air filter off, I sprayed some "start ya bastard" into the air intake and the motor started up no dramas, but I was getting a backfire through the carby every 10 seconds or so. This was enough to stall the motor at idle but the engine could recover if the revs were high when the backfire occurred.

After doing a bit of research I figured it was either an issue involving the intake valve clearance or a air/fuel mixture problem. I figured I should start with the air/fuel mixture in order to rule it out before stuffing around with the valves.

What I noticed was that the engine would backfire most often with the choke off. With the choke half applied, the backfiring would occur less often, and with the choke fully applied the backfiring never occurred. This indicated to me that it was an issue with the air/fuel mixture. If the engine did not backfire when the choke was applied, this obviously meant that the engine was getting too much air and not enough fuel when the choke was off.

There was two possible causes of this problem - either the air screw required adjustment to correct the mixture, or there was an air leak somewhere in the carby. I grabbed my can of 'start ya bastard' and sprayed around the seams and joins of the carby while the engine was running. I found that the revs increased when I sprayed around the manifold joint, which must have been leaning out the mixture and causing the backfire.

I applied some liquid gasket sealer between the parts (which sealed the joint) and the problem appears to have been resolved. Total cost of the repair was around $20 (sparkplug, gasket, carby spray and oil).

Hopefully this will help someone out in the future.

Last edited:
I grabbed my can of 'start ya bastard' and sprayed around the seams and joins of the carby while the engine was running.

That's a bloody good idea mate. Top thinking!!

Gotta love start ya bastard too. :p

where did you find synthetic oil and a spark plug for $20.00

spark plug was only $5 and the bike only required a little bit of oil (less than 2L)

Nice post DeanoOz!

Is your inlet manifold one of those hard plastic ones?

Check your valve clearances anyway. Often they are set wrong when new, and big improvements (in starting, power, response and idling) if they are set right. Is super easy to do with rocker tappet adjusters. I'm not sure what your specific engine clearances should be. You could try find out. If that was my bike, I'd just set the inlet at 0.004" and the exhaust at 0.005". Yours could easily be at something terrible like 002 and 010.

"Start ya bastard". How good is that. All that energy which normally goes through your right leg, nicely packaged up in a spray can.

The manifold itself is metal, but it does has a hard plastic "gasket" for want of a better word - it could be just a spacer between the manifold and the carby.

Good tip with the valves - I might do that and see what how accurate the factory setup was.

Numroe has it spot on ... These logics [If the engine did not backfire when the choke was applied, this obviously meant that the engine was getting too much air and not enough fuel when the choke was off.] might "appear" to be right ... BUT how can you explain the fact that fuel was exploding in the intake manifold ie "popping back" ? ... For a start , both valves are fully shut loooong before the plug fires so for flame , spark or whatever to flow back past the intake valve ... It CAN'T possibly be sealing ... it's either being held off the seat , is warped OR the cam or ignition timing is way out of whack ...

OK you found a manifold leak ... but gas mixture no matter how lean can't explode unless it's exposed to a spark ... and the spark is on the other side of a sealed flame and pressure proof valve ! ... When you enrichen the fuel charge with the choke on it simply increases the flash point to a higher level and so the popping stops ... A lean mixture detonates in the cylinder ... a rich charge burns slow and sluggish ...

Even though you've solved one problem ... you still have the ORIGINAL cause there ... New engines are slapped together ... the valves aren't lapped into the seats then either pressure tested or blue checked ... I've found the same problem that you've encountered and I solved it by lapping the valves in to a perfect seal ... not only in Lifan engines but countless other engines ie car , jap bike , mowers ...

It's quite possible that there's a lack of clearance as Numroe states ... or the intake valve seat is non concentric ... Since valve seats wear in quickly when non leaded fuel is used ... most head joints don't bother lapping valves in anymore ... but engines start much easier and run much smoother and steady with lapped valves ... Even IF your valve clearances are set right ... the valve to seat seal can be poor ... Running an engine with an air leak for too long can quickly heat warp the valves or seats ... so you want to hope that hasn't happened ...

Thanks for your comments Cactus Jack - your point seems very logical and I will take what you have said on board and update the post when I have had a chance to check the valves.

Latest posts

Back