Best fuel to use

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JAZ-SFT

Heys guys looks just wondering if its possible to tune my bike with a higher octane fuel or what is the best fuel to use I was gonna give 98 octane a go or I got some c16 left but pretty sure it's only for efi lol suggestions guys I just wanna go fast :D

Premium 98 is good for the higher compression engines, it runs nicer, better burn etc
leave the C16 until you bump up the compression to around 17-1, or supercharge/turbo your bike lol

Premium 98 is good for the higher compression engines, it runs nicer, better burn etc
leave the C16 until you bump up the compression to around 17-1, or supercharge/turbo your bike lol

Gotta be really careful with 98. Engine cleaning additives are not good for bikes full stop.

I always use 95. No additives and cheaper so win win.

Gotta be really careful with 98. Engine cleaning additives are not good for bikes full stop.

I have been using injector cleaner mixed with 95 since day one. was on special and I figured it can't be much different to carby cleaner mix? are you saying this is not a good idea?

yep, i have been using 95 to avoid ethanol. didn't know it would clog jets, more just so it has a shorter shelf life as it adsorbs moisture from the atmosphere. motorman mentioned 'engine cleaning' additives in 98 and that they are bad for bikes.... can somebody explain this in more detail? and is carby or injector cleaner additive not a good idea???

Bp 98 is the go. She'll has additives, used to foul plugs in my old 63 falcon and I've seen it foul plugs in some turbo cars. I've run Bp for ages with several engine tear downs, always quite clean inside, very little carbon deposits. BUT always use fresh fuel, I usually put whatever is left over in the missus car, she is happy cause she thinks she is getting better fuel, and I'm happy cause the bike gets new stuff every week.

I've always run 98 in my bikes road dirt whatever
uty2asyz.jpg

back when the yzf400 first come out they had use premium fuel stickers on them so every 1 was putting 95 in them and i seen lots of them come back with blown motors. thats when yamaha worked out that australia put a cooling additive in the 95 which destroyed motors. now yamaha just use unleaded stickers on there fuel tanks and the dealers will advice u to use 98 or if u have to 91 only never use the 95

Never heard of that before at all. 99% sure it's the 98.

Been running 95 in all my bikes for 10 years and never blown one.

When they run ad's on tv for premium fuel they always say it cleans your motor as well. That's the additives.

this BP pdf file explains the extra additives in 98 Octane fuel.
helps to prevent detonation, knocking etc, by cleaning the valves, seats and combustion chambers.
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_int...s/downloads_pdfs/f/Fuels_Octans_and_Power.pdf

when you use whatever Octane you buy, you tune your bike to suit it.
then if you change Octanes on the next tank, then it will need some minor adjustments

so in the end, just stick to whatever you chose

Last edited:
BP ultimate is all I have ever used in my bikes an all I will ever use.. never had a problem with it.. I once put nitro rc fuel in my first mini bike an even that didn't do anything to it... I used about 500mls of nitro to 2.5 Ltr of BP ultimate... just wanted to see what would happen.. oh an it was 25% nitro fuel... lmao.. smelt good...

Latest posts

Back