Big-bore 4stroke Vs Big-bore 2stroke.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddy@norway

Reaction score
This might be the wrong forum to post this question, but I'll try anyways.
I'm going the sell my CR 250 and try to get a CR 500 instead (they are extremely rare in norway though).
And I was just wondering; how would the CR500 compare against my XR650r? the only big-bore 2stroke I've ridden was a shitty YZ490, and the most exciting on that bike was the lack of brakes...
The XR has more bottom-end power than any bike I've ever ridden, and it got decent HP too, I can pull mile-long wheelies at speeds over 110kph, but what about the CR? will it destroy the XR? it's kind of an legendary bike I've always heard people talk about. (the pic is of my CR and KX on a field last year, It's me ond the KX:) )

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
mate mate mate

if u can find 1 get it
i sort of still have 1 a 86 modle with the rear drum brake
mono shock

i sold her a few yrs ago to my best mate troy he also has my ol rm 125
best part is i can still ride em when i want

as for the cr she's undergoing a rebuild top to bottom with a new rear dic break rear end and redo the donk

mate when i had her she flew and im talking blast any bike around but only in a straight line as in the ol days they didnt handle to well

i remeber i used to race cars on the freeway i was on dirt track nxt to M1 and from a standing start i could out run a car doing 110 kms in a 800 mtr straight

had to get the power down tho that was the tricky part
ill grab some pics of her nxt time im over at troys

as for the XR should be fun to watch her getting eatin in 3rd gear flat band hang on bro hang on

Last edited:
I believe the kx500 was the better engine out of the cr500/kx500. The kx500 also has a power valve. Tho the kx500 look like crap.

Mate of mine had a CR500 setup for flat-track.Was dynoed at 72hp.
Maico is back into making two-strokers and are bringing out a 680cc(few diff engine sizes i think) 2 smoker shortly. Stock with marzocchi forks and ohlins rear.
Have you got big enough balls but:D

my mates neighbour had the very last model ever built 2000-2001 not sure when they were last made... but it got knocked off! yes there a very rare bike and they are nothing compared to a xr650... the 650 is heavy and a prick to stop! but your right about the for ever ending mono's!!!

Last edited:
i would seriosly think about buying a cr500 or any 2stroke 500 for that matter. they are VERY powerful a 500 two mstorke should smoke any 650 four stroke(125 2 strokes are compared to 250 fours) as each gives a differant type of power. the kx500 are alot more powerful then the cr500 from back then.but i would seriosly think about buying a 500 as i have never heard any 500 rider enjoy them and not injur themselfs.they are very powerful

500cc Maico
2-1.jpg

Miaco on the Comeback - Dirtbike at Off-Road.com
700cc
02.jpg

ATK 700 Intimidator - the new hot rod of dirt bikes

Maico, the legendary German bikes raced during the 1970s and ‘80s by a host of equally illustrious motocross champions including Graham Noyce, Gerrit Wolsink and Roger Harvey, has made an unexpected comeback.
Hundreds of vintage Maicos are still raced regularly in nostalgia and twinshock events all over the world, but the new generation of German-built machinery bristles with a host of modern equipment, including: liquid-cooled two-stroke engines, HGS exhaust systems, WP USD front forks, linkage rear suspension and trendy wavy Brembo brake discs.
Conventional steel frames add a slightly dated look but new distributors, Maico UK, nonetheless report that the news of the firm’s comeback has generated an ‘amazing response’ from riders and potential dealers.
The current Maico motocross and enduro ranges span 250cc, 320cc and 500cc, and there’s even a whopping 700cc two-stroke behemoth! Scary shit!
Crazy though it may seem, Maico UK report that it has already sold a handful of the 700cc versions due to a few clubs running an Open Class for larger capacity bikes over 500cc.
The latest generation of Maico hardware is still produced in the brand’s original German homeland, albeit in much smaller numbers than the firm’s halcyon days.
The small-scale production means that each new Maico is effectively hand-built to order, which allows details such as the seat height and the position of the footpegs to be tailored to each customer’s individual preference.
UK Distributors say that limited numbers of the bikes will be available on these shores by early November, and they report that the huge flood of enquiries from diehard two-stroke riders has prompted Maico UK into considering entering a rider in the 2008 DEP two-stroke championships.
During their 1970s heyday, an estimated 90% of European clubman riders rode Maico and the unprecedented interest in its revival led a spokesman for Maico UK to say: ‘we are proud to have secured the deal with the Maico factory and we have a lot of plans to put Maico firmly back on the map in the UK.’
For more information contact Maico UK, tel: 07884 190941; Maico UK Home

Last edited:
the tail goes, every one who has owned a cr500 have seriously injured them self on the bike in that matter!

Somehow I dont think he wants a 500cc to go racing on.
(I could be wrong but not many clubs allow 500cc two-strokes on track these days. Noise and pollution major factor)
I cant see the XR650 making its way round a track so I dont think the comparison was asked for so he could race it.

The big 2 smokers used to quite often kick ass in the Finke desert races.

pikaninny i luv that emo thing at the bottom of your name lol ahahahahaha

ino ben grabham im good mates wit hes bros all those boys can ride F****** GOOD

CR500's get around 40 miles per tank so that's a big negative for any type of endurance or long distance riding especially since you can't rego them .

30May03%20020.jpg

cr500e%20magazine.jpg

Honda released the CR500E in the last couple of years in production.

I'll check the CR500 forum out anyway . But what I look at are things like .... the HONDA race team winning on XR650's and CRF450R's back in the years when HONDA was still making and selling CRE500's and CR500's . IF the 2 strokes were any better or had any advantage whatsoever ........ do you really THINK that they , the HONDA RACE TEAM would be using 4 stroke bikes ? You don't think they'd be wanting to make their own CR500's and CR500E's look good by racing and winning on them then advertising how fast and reliable they are ? :)

I think you just answered your own question there, both the XR650 and CRF450 were brand new models for honda back in the early 2000's. What do you think they are going to try harder to sell, the CR500 which has been largely unchanged since the early 90's, or their 2 brand new bikes with millions of R&D dollars sunk into them? If honda wanted to win on the CR500, they would of.

Anyway, look what bike won both the 01 and 02 finke
Downpour Turns Aussie Desert Classic Into a Mud Fight - Off-Road Racing at Off-Road.com
Australia's Finke Desert Race Doing It In The Dust Downunder - Off-Road Racing at Off-Road.com

just for the record, I'm not selling the XR, That bike is streetlegal here in norway, it's my everyday bike, I'm planning to replace the CR250r, I'm not going to race a CR500 on the tracks either, I'm going to use it in quarries and on the many frozen lakes here in the winter. I'm just curious on the power of the CR's, the XR pulls wheelies in First to fourth gear and does 175km flat out, and if I floor it I get wheelspin in the first two gears on tarmac, the XR is not one of those retricted ones they sell in america either, it's totally uncorcked with wiseco Highcomp piston and a hotcams stage 1 cam, jetting is also flawless, The CR's might be stronger on top and lighter, but I seriously doubt they can touch the sheer brute force of the XR's bottom end power, or what??

Last edited:
Of course I'm impressed with the XR, After all, it's my bike:) but the big bore 2-strokes have always been legendary and feared among all dirtbikers, I've never met anyone that could say with a straight face that a 500cc 2-stroke makes only "decent" power, but with 4-strokes you never hear people talk like that, I've ridden many big-bore 4-strokes like the XR, the KTM 520exe, and a old Husaberg 501Fe with racecam and big-valve head, and the 2-stroke YZ 490, but none of these bikes ever made me say : "holy shit, this bike got to much power!" I want a dirtbike that scares me everytime I open the throttle, I want a bike that will power-wheelie in any gear at any speed. Is the CR500 the bike I'm looking for? or is it overrated?
the bike is a legend, but has time caught up with it and made the 4 strokes more powerful?

Last edited:
You'll find if you raced against a CR500 with your worked XR650 that it wouldn't be too much quicker if at all . What you need to do is find someone who owns one and go for a ride with them or even ask for a go on their bike .

You want to ride a bike that scares you ? Sounds to me like you're a potential drag racer ..... :p Maybe you need a Harley XR750 flat tracker ?

You want to ride a bike that scares you ? Sounds to me like you're a potential drag racer ..... :p Maybe you need a Harley XR750 flat tracker ?

yeah:) well I've always liked bikes with more power than I can use, and I like the idea of owning A legend, plus the thought of great power in a light package without the crazy maintanance that the new 450 4-strokes crave is something I like, don't get me wrong, I love to wrench and fiddle with mechanichal stuff, but I like to do more riding than wrenching.

Latest posts

Back