Bike died and now won't start?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc85

Reaction score
Hey there, i took my bike out to the bush to go for a ride today. When i got it off the trailer it started first go and i rode about 200 metres and it just died, then i tried to kick start it for a while and it wuldn't go. So i put it in 3rd and rolled down the hill and it started for about 20 seconds and rode but kept trying to die but i kept the revs up and eventually it cut out.

I check the spark plug and it was covered in fuel so i think the bike is not sparking properly. tested the continuity of the spark plug lead on a car battery and it sparked fine.

What do you suggest?

hey maybe some loose cables, cdi mite be on the way out, coil mite not be grounded properly. check the connections wif a multimeter.

Dabomb said:
hey maybe some loose cables, cdi mite be on the way out, coil mite not be grounded properly. check the connections wif a multimeter.

The coil is grounded properly, but yeh it doesn't get any spark so it's either the stator, CDI or the Coil?

my CDI decided to die before, the timing got all messed up so it isnt ur CDI.
The stator gives the cdi power, i doubt that be gone, my guess is that ur coil is fuked or theres some faulty connections.try another coil on ur bike??

Yeh well we are still getting power from the stator when i kick the bike over, so i'm guessing the coil as well

I can get a coil including postage for $25 from the guy i bought my bike from, is there anywhere i can get one cheaper ?

Ok i'm only getting 6 volts from on the red/black wire from the stator and nothing from the blue/white wire. These are the only two wires going into the CDI apart from the earth wire. So does this mean my stator is stuffed?

So i have tested with a multimeter and from the Stator (Rotor, thing behind flywheel that produces the electricity) there is only 6 volts coming from the red/black wire and nothing from the white/blue wire. These 2 wires are the only ones from the stator going into the CDI other than the earth, but from the yellow/black which comes out of the CDI and goes to the coil is only showing 2-3 volts.

I'm not an electrican or have had much experience with this electrical stuff, so if someone who knows could let me know what they think is up i would appreicate it.

Dilox-125cc said:
When testing it give it some revs and at the highest rpm see what the Vs are cuse the more rpm the more V's (i think)

Not possible as it doesn't start now =)

hey, is ur fuel cock turned the right way (On) lol i had that problem it was like gerking and it just died.. i was like scared n that n i saw the cock was in the off position turned it on and way i went :) ??

Yeh of course lol, i checked that as soon as it happened, and i checked to see if there was fuel in the bowl and these was. It's not a fuel problem as i don't have a spakr when the plug is out of the bike even.

Ok, i have the coil disconnected from the loom, if i use the multimeter to measure voltage on the black/yellow (the only wire apart from earth that goes to the coil and it comes out of the CDI) wire i get a reading but once i connect it to the coil i get no reading from the same spot (before the coil). So when the coil is connected it seems to not get any voltage through this wire as it did when the coil wasn't connected.

So i have included a picture to help explain what im talking about.

At the point labeled "1" there was a block connector which i pulled off both ends, so when this wire is not connected at this point i get a voltage reading on this wire from the CDI, but when i twist the wires together so it continues from the CDI to the coil i get no reading at this same point or no reading at where the this wire joins onto the coil.

hmmm my bike puts out 12volts on idle and goes up to high voltage readings on my multimeter...Ur stator must be fuked if its only putin out 3volts.
BUT... if your bike is not starting then how did u get a reading in the first place? if ur just kicking it then its not gunna produce alot of volts so an accurate reading is not possible.

Test ur existing coil with a 12V battery and a sparky plug to see if a spark jumps.

then get back to me.

Cheers!!

Well i can test the volt's its getting when i kick it over, this is what creates the first spark and starts the bike.

just put 12v onto the 2 contacts on the left side of the coil....put ur hand on the spark plug and see if u get a jump.

Dabomb said:
just put 12v onto the 2 contacts on the left side of the coil....put ur hand on the spark plug and see if u get a jump.

I still don't understand, there is 2 wires going into the coil Earth(green) and power(yellow/black), so i connect the power to the positive of the battery and where do i put the earth ? Negative ?

Latest posts

Back