bike splutters or doesnt run right?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honda50s

Reaction score
hi guys
just a tip for all the novices out there, when ur minibike starts to splutter or, when u rev it, cuts out, its most probably gunna be ur carby. if it was fine before u started riding and then it ran like crap after a bump or sudden jolt, its crap clogging up the carby. ive had this problem a few times with my xr50. its real simple to fix. all u have to do is drain the fuel out of the carby, take the carby off, take the throttle cap off and the slide out, and dissconnect any other lines like breathers or fuel lines. after u have done this, take the carby bowl off. when u have done this, u can handle the carby any way u like. i use a bike pump or compressor for this next step. blow compressed air into as many holes as possible (sorry for the general language tech guys, dont worry i know what they do) and try to make sure the holes are not clogged. the carby on these things is that simple to take apart and put back together that a one year old could do it. so dont be affraid to get ur hands dirty. once you have cleared out the carby with compressed air, put it all back together, put it on the bike and test it, and hopefully that solves it. if not it may have something to do with the fuel mixture or the electrics have dislodged sumhow. basically the carby is the first thing you should check if the bike starts to run like crap all of a sudden. NOTE: DO NOT wash the carby out with water. water and fuel do not mix and water isnt flamable. doing this will make your problem worse unless you give it ample time to dry. but try to avoid it anyway.
hope this tip helps alot of you guys struggling with temporary engine problems.
PS: if this fixes the problem, but it keeps coming back, its probly time for a new air filter.
cheers 50 riders

Fuel filters and cleaning of parts !

Yes - great post ! A fuel filter between the tank and carb will prevent a lot of problems from occurring in the first place ! Also you CAN wash carbs and engine parts in water - I've been doing it without problem for over 34 years ! I spray the parts with degreaser - then blast them with a hose with a high pressure nozzle fitted - then do them in hot water and dish washing liquid - then rinse them under super hot water and blow them out with air ! The hot water heats the parts up so hot that most of it evaporates off them . A hair dryer can also be used to get them as dry as a bone in next to no time !

Reconditioning shops pressure wash parts using hot water after hot tanking them in a caustic bath to remove baked on grease and carbon . Cylinders and blocks are thoroughly washed and scrubbed in hot soapy water to remove honing grit after being bored and honed ! Once parts are dish washer (surgically) clean and dried - you can spray them with WD 40 or dip them in oil ready to assemble . They can also be stored in sealed plastic bags to protect them from dirt , dust and moisture (rust & corrosion) - for later use !

Dirty assembly kills more motors than anything else ! :)

hmm. you learn something new everyday. ill keep that in mind cactus. i just noticed alot of posts complaining about bikes not running properly and ive had those sorts of symtoms with my bike and know what it is.thats just the way i do it and it works for me. what do u do for work cactus? it sounds interesting. i was aiming for this post to become a sticky and you added info thats very useful. i think other people should add posts with more useful info on this kind of stuff. might also help to unclutter the forum a little. :)

good thread mate that happened to me awhile back. whish i had of read this thread before pulling half the engine apart:)

Latest posts

Back