bike starting problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1_rider

Reaction score
hey all i would fix this myself but i cant determine what the problem is. anyway, when i start my bike i always have to start it with the choke fully closed and alot of the time the fuel tap needs to be turned off ( :?: ).

when i first got it i didn't need to use the choke to start it but now i do :? . anyway when i start the bike it will never start in idle mode i have to twist the throttle when i start it. then when i ease off the throttle back to idle the motor just cuts out.

it's a major bummer coz when i have to start it i have to do so many things and then when i'm riding only then can i turn off the choke coz if i do it before then the motor just dies. so when i'm riding i'm wobbling all over the place trying to turn the choke off with one hand and with the other i am trying to keep the revs high :lol:

any help on what i should do would be greatly appreciated

if the bike is flooding (you have to turn the fuel off and the revs up ) it sounds like you either have a problem with your fuel float or your air/fuel mixture is up the creek. why dont you email one of the companies that advertise on this site and see if they can help .cheers Tugboat! :)

i tried emailing viperformance but they haven't replied in weeks :shock:

maybe i'll try carter, but i dont know whether he knows 4 strokes

i've only touched the idle screw, i havent touched any of the other screws on the carby

ok, do u reckon i should change the fuel filter too, and what would u recommend in terms of cleaning?

it helps to replace the fuel filter once and a while, the chinese ones seem to stuff up easyer so replace it, try cleaning it though i have seen some that you can pull apart to clean :?:

try pulling off the fuel hose at the carby end turn the fuel petcock "ON" and see if any fuel flows if your using the cheap narsty fuel filter that come with the bike more than likely thats your problem also do u hear any sucking noise around the carby area?

nah, i dont get any sucking noises comin from the carby but i'd say that your right in saying it's the fuel line/filter. i will change it over this weekend. i'm going to get a new fuel filter, do you reckon i should get a new fuel line at the same time or just keep the current one?

do you reckon i should get a new fuel line at the same time or just keep the current one?
its up too you
if u have another hose or the current fuel hose is long enough to reach from the tank to the carby without the filter give that a try and see if its your problem

ok, i drained all the petrol out of the tank today and then i did this:

first i took off the fuel line

secondly, i unscrewed the fuel tap and pulled out the fuel filter too

next, i found that there was a small clear type straw (attached to the fuel tap) sticking up into the fuel filter, it had a rubber gasket around the edge so no fuel could slip through, and i found that the straw wen up a long way up the filter (the filter is quite tall and stands upright in the tank) so it looked like, if there wasn't much fuel, the engine would have a hard time sucking it in.

so next i cut the straw in half (easily replaceable) so that it would use more of the filter, from there i put back on the rubber gasket, refitted the fuel filter, the fuel tap and the fuel line. all was well.

but then it came to the time when i had to start the bike to make sure it was working right and guess what, it didn't start no matter what i tried :x

there were several one off occaisions where it sounded like it was atcually starting but then it just died straight away, i'm quite unimpressed about the lengths i have to go to in order to start this thing :x :x :x

if anyone has any ideas what to do so that i can start this thing please let me know

straw? when u pull out the petcock there should be a filter u can snip this off as u are using another filter down the line make sure the fuel is flowing through the fuel hose u could have the petcock turned in the wrong direction? easiest way to find out the on position is to pull the fuel hose off the carby than turn the petcock as i said before if u have fuel flowing than u have a dirty carby if your fuel isnt flowing than u have a fuel tank/petcock problem its pretty simple

fuel is flowing clearly out of my fuel line so it sounds like a carburettor problem, got any tips on what and what not to do when dismantling and cleaning the carby?

pulling down a carby is simple but if u think ur going too have problems take notes as u go draw diagrams etc so u know where everything goes it will probably be the main jet is blocked

Latest posts

Back