Bike Troubles.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch_cats

Reaction score
I've got a dpro 140 and after going away riding the other weekend my bike conked out just before we left and wouldn't start so we towed it back to the house but didn't see what was wrong coz we had to go. When i got home to have a look i thought it would be crap in the carb but it wasn't. the bike has been low on compression lately and just before and then after it conked out there was literally less compression than a pee wee 80. I then came to the conclusion that it was probably the valve clearances, only problem-im not that great at doing them. I still had a go at fixing them a little as there was no gap in the inlet and to much on the exhuast so i fixed it a bit but this still had no effect on compression or getting it started. I then thought could be kickstart gears. so i tried to roll start it but the clutch wouldn't disengage. so i tried to just roll it gear and when i did only rarely would there be a little pop from the exhaust. i just thought id ask before i spend like $200 getting it fixed. what could it be.
Thanks Mitch

set your valve clearances properly or get someone to do it for you..

you need to run through the basic's
compression? (well youve covered that 1 but hopefully set the valves will sort that out)
is it getting fuel?
is it getting spark?

how do you mean it wasn't dis-engaging?

you mean the clutch didn't work when you were push starting? if so then that usually happens to a bike that isn't running.

you know what i mean when i pull in the clutch it stays in gear

still no luck.

did the valve clearances again but still not getting any more compression (could it be a blown gasket or something like that?).
ill check for spark tomorrow as it was getting dark today and i was getting bitten by mosquitos.
I still don't know why the piston is still moving when i've got the clutch pulled in.

Any suggestions on what it could be and what i could do would be very appreciated
Thanks mitch

as i said above, the clutch problem is normal with just about any bike (jap or china). but if it isnt going to kick start then push starting it isnt going to help..

you need to check all the things i mentioned in my first post or your just going round in circles..
and engine requires 3 things to run..
fuel
spark
compression

ya cant just rule the rest out because your sus on the compression.

also is there any chance the bike has been overheated or drowned in water while riding?
there the most common issues.

low oil level or poor oil quality will result in quick engine failure as well as overheating too.

actually now that your mentioned it when i drained the oil there wasn't that much that came out which actually left me a dumbfounded coz i check the oil before every ride, it has been pretty smokey lately (from the exhaust) but it couldn't eat it up that fast could it?

thanks.
ill definately have a look when i get home tonight.
will i need piston and rings or just the rings

thanks.
ill definately have a look when i get home tonight.
will i need piston and rings or just the rings

it is always best to both because the head and barrel are already off and then you will know exactly how long the piston has been in the engine.

when u take the head off check if the valves are sealing properly happened to me. Had little compression, hard as sh** to start and always dies.

damn man woulda been cause ya didnt have enough oil!!! that makes me wild as when ya see someone with a brand new nice bike that should last some time but it falls to pieces cause they dont have common sence :(

shann,
what do you mean i have no common sense i checked the oil every ride. Its my first bike, i didn't know that blowing smoke could have been a symptom from stuffed rings. Im just learning all this stuff and if this is the hard way to learn so be it.

And dunny29er yer definately will check the valves i was reading some of your threads and my symptoms seem pretty similar to yours
Thanks guys,
mitch

Ok so bacially if your rings are fuked oil will get into the top end and burn with the fuel that's how u get the smoke lol. Yunhave 3 rings in a 4 stroke two sealing rings and 1 oil scraper ring if they are stuffed your bike will burn oil. I think it's 3 could be 4 lol

you wouldn't of noticed the oil level going down a couple mls everytime you rode it and it was blowing smoke i wouldn't of rode it till it got sussed or diagnosed so i could fix it straight away if it f-d up. i suppose i cant talk i had my first bike once too....

Latest posts

Back