Bike wont run after running out of fuel and filled back up

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beginnerMX

Reaction score
Hey guys went for my first proper ride on my mates farm since my knee injury, have a Pitpro 2009 150cc lifan i went through a full tank with out stopping so 3 hours riding? engine stalled during this time and had fuel surging started it up and had 15 min out of it after that then started backfiring/surging and poping loudly then wouldnt start (ran outer fuel) i went back filled up full tank and usually takes first kick to start it took like 5!! idled ok when i put it in first and took off it was surging/bogging and then stalled then it took like 5 to 10 kicks to start and kept doing the same thing even sometimes not idling.

Since taking it home i have done the following.

*Cleaned Carbie + jets (oko 26 from dhz)
*valve clearances (0.10mm inlet / 0.15mm exhaust)
*played with mixture screw / idle screw
*carbie needle from middle position down 1 back to middle
*Checked exhaust and carb leaks
*changed fuel filter and fuel line

THINGS TO NOTE
*idle jet has always been the next size bigger than whats in the stock oko 26
*bikes always run on the richer side (black oily spark plug)
*bikes exhaust pipe gets REALLY hot nearrly untouchable even with 2-3 layers of heatwrap
*exhaust smokes on idle fine while riding
*bikes always had a surging/stalling problem like most pitbikes when cracking 1/4 throttle open realy fast at idle

Right now it takes heaps of kicks to start when started it will idle then die if no throttle applied exhaust pops/backfires bike stalls/backfires when taking off.

Help would be most appreciated.

have you checked/cleaned the filter in fuel tap?
and when you cleaned the carby did you pull the needle and seat out ,
and blow compressed air though the the jets and through the holes on the intake side of the carby?

i put a NEW fuel filter in, and i just used carby cleaner the carbies new only been riding twice with it.

have you ever pulled the fuel tap off of the bottom of the fuel tank?
there is a fuel filter fitted to most of them.

so when you cleaned the carby, did you remove the jets and spray the gallerys where the jets screw into too?

with a oko26 you should be able to snap it pretty quick to 1/4 throttle, I do with a mokt. I recomend that you blow the jets and gallerys out with compressed air as carby cleaner won't get everything.

The air filter doesn't have a snorkel setup?, these can restrict airflow especially if the airfilter is quite dirty. Compression maybe pushing the spark into the plug, tried a new plug?

iv pulled the fuel line off the carby fuel runs fine and free, and ran bike with out airfilter on at all still same issue though a big compression feel of air pops out from the carb where the airfilter goes and also smoke sometimes.

Maybe sucking air from where the head and Intake meet or the intake to carb, spray some wd40 around those joins when it is running and if it changes revs than its probably sucking air. The section in the float bowl of the OKO in which the jets go (is 2 screws holding it on)has a rubber seal under it and have heard of them rarely leaking fuel and causing some dramas.

you need 3 things to start it

fuel
compression
and spark

the first thing is fuel. you say the fuel flows. open the carb drain screw just to be 110% sure fuel flows through it. if it does you do not need to worry about the amount of fuel flow. whatever sits in the float bowl is enough to idle

the next is spark. take spark plug out of cylinder, hold it against cylinder and kick it over (watch between the gap) there should be a bright blue spark with a decent kick, not a weak ****ty spark. Try replacing spark plug if it is. Never have I needed to replace a spark plug on any other bike. But the chinese run fake crappy spark plugs which should be replaced because they cause starting issues

Compression will almost certainly not be an issue in this instance

changed spark plug with spare i have genuine ngk spark plugs, i will play with the carbie tommorow.. what else could have happened during running out of fuel? it almost makes me think the huge pops before it ran out of fuel damaged the engine.

i also added a copper ring gasket to the exhaust where it bolts to engine (never had one) same thing is still happening :(

When you did the clearances what did you set them at and did you take the cam cover off and check the timing as well?

Sorry just saw your clearances are right, check timing but I still thing your jets are blocked.

Another no brainer question just to eliminate human error, you are turning the right screw for mixture and idle. Very easy to mix em up! :) also would I would try the main at the bottom ring. I've got a 155 and I got 100 main put in and it only work on the bottom, had the same symptoms as yours!

beginnermx,
*bikes always had a surging/stalling problem like most pitbikes when cracking 1/4 throttle open realy fast at idle

^^ this line that i have quoted from your first post, means the pilot jetting is wrong, what jet is currently fitted in there?
how many turns out is your mixture screw?

havent worked on bike yet ill pul carb tonight hopefully and tell you what jets are in, havent had time a uninsured motorist decided to reverse into my wrx yesturday :( talk about luck!!!

JETS ARE: 102 38

The bike started smokey as with backfire then died wouldnt start again after 60 kicks with a loud pop in the exhaust every 15th kick and carbie backfiring nearrly every kick the kick leaver decided to snap off now i need a tutorial how to install another one, I wanted to anyways as you could allways feel its missing a tooth.. anyone know whats wrong with this bike? always ran flawlessly untill the day i ran outer fuel...
4uje2e5e.jpg

Latest posts

Back