BOF insurance

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAHH

Reaction score
Hi everyone this my 1st post after checking this forum out for months and it's a bit boring old fart but yopu haven't got a category for that so i'm posting it under general. I checked my house insurance ( nrma) the other day to see if my bikes were covered and they told me if they werent less than 75cc or registerable they wouldn't cover them. I'm thinking of changing insurers, does anybody know of an insurer who does this.
Thanks NAHH

lol are you planning on getting one of ya mates to steal ya bike so insurance will buy you another one?

nah my boys have have 3 pushies stolen in 4 years in spite of our dogs, the bikes are better secured but I'm a little paranoid.

I know in the US, if the bike doesn't have a motor or in working order its covered as items/parts..

I've had some of my bikes insured in the past but i'll have to have a look when i get home. but its around $250-$300 a year for a $4k bike with some crazy excesses 15% of the value of the bike.

In the end i thought i can buy a new bike for 1/2 the coin nowdays anyways so i never renewed its insurance, plus they all concreted into the ground with a massive chain.

nah my boys have have 3 pushies stolen in 4 years in spite of our dogs, the bikes are better secured but I'm a little paranoid.

I would be looking at investing in new dogs, rather than insurance that will never cover these

I dont think anybody covers them on a standard contets insurance

^^^ I'm with stupid.

Unregisterable motor-powered vehicles are not covered by any insurer that I know of. I can't get insurance for my race bike, so that's under lock and key in the garage.

I'm with Hillz too ... get a bigger dog as insurance!

Get one of those rotwielers or a bulldog.. man mess with those and your f*cked..

Unregisterable motor-powered vehicles are not covered by any insurer that I know of. I can't get insurance for my race bike, so that's under lock and key in the garage.

You can get insurance for unregistered bikes road and off-road, One of my bikes was covered by Jardine Lloyd Thompson in VIC with 10% value of the bike as the excesse and the policy is a Fire, Theft and Damage in Transport insurance.

Motorcycle, motorbike, dirt bike and scooter insurance quotes

Motorcycle Insurance Australia - SGIO

Car Insurance Australia - Car Enthusiasts - Classic Car Insurance - Shannons

Affordable Motorcycle Insurance – About Online Motorcycle Insurance - Insure My Ride

seems strange nrma says it must be registered to be insured... what do they do about ride on lawn mowers or tractors on private land!? id also try a insurance broker if none of the above links are helpful..

but keep us posted about what you discover, as while alot of the members are young dum n full of....come will a time they will be old n wise n need to get BOF insurance to ;)

hope there is light at the end of the tunnel mate and welcome to the forum:)

Foolsp33d

Thanks Foolsp33d after perusing the policy documents and emailing the last mob on the list with my details I have given up for the time being. My email explained I have picked up older bikes over the years at cheap prices rebuilt them to the state where they are safe to ride but could not be called restored. When I read the email back to myself I thought yeh there is not much incentive for an insurer with these bikes. They were bought and repaired cheaply over 13 years, (the age of my oldest bloke). They would be hard to value not being either original or restored and generally fit in none of the categories they listed. NRMA suggested I talk to an Insurance broker but I'm filing it in the too hard basket and have improved the security in my shed.
Thanks anyway NAHH

12 gauge with buckshot works great on the pigs i hunt but back to the topic Elders should cover u as my mate rides yzf426 and thats insured as long as the bike is chained to a solid object inside a locked shed or chained to the back of the ute tralier if in transport mode but beware policy is not cheap.
bigkid68

You can get anything (just about) insured if you are prepared to pay the premium. Your lawn mower is usually covered by a standard home and contents insurance policy (a ride on usually needs to be specified contents to be covered but can go in the same policy).

My little girl has about $40,000 worth of equipment which is covered in the home and everywhere she goes with it, my tools which are at work are also on this policy and we had to use a broker to get the cover we needed.

The problem with minibikes (and race bikes) is that people tend to stuff them up then are tempted to fake a break in to get them replaced as the excess is less than the repair bill. Insurance companys find it easier to keep these high risk items off the Home and Contents policys and make you take out special insurance with better excess that also cover stacks.

Latest posts

Back