Bradstas' 1980 Z50J

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradstaMS

Reaction score
Hello im new here, i just thought id share a question that i have been trying to find the answer to :)
Well ill start off with my bike, Its a red 1980 Honda Z50J, which has been in my shed for several years due to the passing away of its previous owner, my uncle. It was used as a method of transportation on a golf course, it has done just over 6000 KM's. The battery in it is dry, very dry, the plates have corroded together, this leads to my first question, would anyone know what battery it is?
The bike starts after about an hour of attempting to kick start it, it runs with only one problems, it doesnt like high revs. after about half an hour of riding, it starts perfectly. i left it for a day or so and it wouldnt start again. i seeked assistance from my neighbour who is very cluey with mechanical things, he told me it was the magneto which could possibly be dead, would anyone know what magneto i need and a rough price?
thanks for any help i receive, and i shall post some pics of it at a later date :)

get the pics up and let us adore it to then!

here it is, hope the pic didnt come out too big :S

motorbike001ka2.jpg

Last edited:
Start with the basics,

Is it sparking all the time? or does it loose spark?

If its been sitting around for awhile the carby could do with a good clean, take the jets out and clean them,

Have you checked the points gap?

its stuffed.. best off you sell it to me.. ;) i PROMISE to give it a good home :D

umm yeah its best to just get rid of it

PS. fools if u get it u owe me 10% of the purchase price for that comment :D

Start with the basics,

Is it sparking all the time? or does it loose spark?

If its been sitting around for awhile the carby could do with a good clean, take the jets out and clean them,

Have you checked the points gap?

It has a spark but VERY dodgy, doesnt always spark, cleaned the spark plug aswell, i have a new battery coming for the lights, and possibly a new magneto.

my dad is coming over next week to have a fiddle, ill tell him to checl the carby.

it does start, only after about an hour of kick starting.

I have an 81 that had the same problem it was the points once I fixed that it started first time since then usually around the third time but it is reliable.

Latest posts

Back