Brand new mini bike, stalls and smoke out of air filter..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherp2nd

Reaction score
Hi guys, i Just bought a 125cc bike and am having trouble with it staying on... i turn it on and it idels for a few seconds then shuts off followed by a puff of which smoke... why is it doing this? Any help is valued! Aaron

do you have the choke on mate?

maybe if you have the choke on when you start it, it might idle til warm a bit then turn the choke off and give it a bit of a rev and see if it holds

how long does it kick over for before it dies?

this is a great time to set the valve clearance, and if your lucky this may even correct the problem

you should take it back to the shop you got it from. i am sure they will sort it out for you.

I have been mucking around with the choke it stays on for a about 5 mins then just concs out... i didnt want to screw around with the carby i thought it would have been set properly from the factory..ive just got a bike so im really just getting used to all these things...

try screwing the idle screw in again or if possible do what hman said..

but as for factory settings, there usually a hit and miss situation... every bike needs some sort of initial tune up and service

i just turned the crew on the carby.. i think it was idleing too low? i turned it up just a tad and it stays on.. the only thing is the electric start dosnt start it for some reason it wants to but just dies maybe i have killed the battery and not enough charge... and i dont really want to take it back to where i got it from the were dodgy as... ill be happy to never see them again.

at the risk of sounding like a complete tosser, what and how do you do valve clearence... is it hard for somebody with min knowledge? im ready evrywhere that i should do it now..

look in the tech section mate, theres a whole thread dedicated to setting valve clearances...
and again there is a thread for fir time bike owners and how to set thing up.

also make sure you dumb the factory oil and use some mineral based motorcycle oil like motul 3000 or castrol active 4t

The smoking coming out of air filter i believe is backfire.... my bike did it before and all i did was flick teh choke on and off for a bit till felt smooth and fixed up my glow plug and leads now no backfires or anything take out ur glow plug and buy a NGK spark plug if ur prob still presists check all ur leads and make sure its all well and do what these blokes have been telling u to as well couldn't hurt

The smoking coming out of air filter i believe is backfire.... my bike did it before and all i did was flick teh choke on and off for a bit till felt smooth and fixed up my glow plug and leads now no backfires or anything take out ur glow plug and buy a NGK spark plug if ur prob still presists check all ur leads and make sure its all well and do what these blokes have been telling u to as well couldn't hurt
:no: petrol engines dont use glow plugs
they use spark plugs!
only diesal engines have glow plugs!

ive also got a 125, the battery will charge while the bikes running, if ur setill having the idleing problem set it higher with the screw at the back of the carby, start the bike with the choke on and then put it down once started.

carbys are sensitive to different climates and altitudes what works in china or japan in cold mountainous areas wont nesseserly work in Australias more dry hot climate

Latest posts

Back