Broken Coil, Mystery Carb

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heliboy89

Reaction score
I got another one for ya craig haha... And anyone else who wants to chime in - Quick one this time. I'm looking at an old Honda 49cc motorbike engine, not sure what model - it's in a home made go-cart and I don't know where it came from.

1) Ever figured out a solution to this problem?
coil.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a coil only (no integrated CDI) as i have ~1ohm on primary and a few thousand on secondary, is it a pretty generic piece of gear?
As in..
2) Can I replace it with any coil or does it have to be specific?

3) What am I looking at here...? It's a Keihin carb, 13mm slide, 16mm on the cylinder side, ~28mm on the air intake side... Can't find anything that looks even close to it on the net.
carb.jpg

Cheers fellers sorry to repost so quick. The workshops dirty might as well get these things done lol...

Last edited:
with the coil,
have you tried putting a flat blade screwdriver into the lead, and unscrewing it.
it could have a self tapping thread inside the coil, and the lead might screw on ?
aka lefty loosey.

otherwise just replace it with a generic ignition coil

Haven't tried - will give it a shot. There is a stub there and I'd be able to solder to it but I don't know how long that will last. I'll go looking for a coil.

You ever seen the carb?
In desperate need of a douse in cleaner isn't it..

Nah, not even close. I'll take a better photo for you. It's orientated strangely it sits on top of the cylinder with the intake facing upwards, slide pulls horizontally. Float is a tall tube parallel to the venturi. Will take a better photo...
Got a coil in the mail. Not gonna piss with that lead, for $15 why would ya

Yeah, that's closer to it. Although my plug is on the other side...
Carb.jpgCarb_underside.jpg

Just out of interest... That coil wouldn't have worked on the DS80 right...? Because it doesn't have the CD integrated? Are there generic coils that would have or is that a pretty unique design

You're right yeah, Keihin C100/CZ100 carburettor. Spot on man thanks for your help I found an exploded view that's what I was after. And with that coil in the mail that is my problem wrapped up I think. You're too good Craig jeez I owe you a beer or two don't I

Check your engine number, if its a CZ100 engine its worth big bucks(1000 bucks up), its below the front sprocket, engine prefix will be like cz100####### or c100#######. If its a C100 its not really valuable even though they are the same engine essentially

the genuine Suzuki coils are around $170 new
they use them on a few models, DS80, JR80, AX100, CP50, RMX50 etc etc
there would be aftermarket ones available, i haven't really looked for one though.

Motodevo, you're not talking about down here are you lol?
engine.jpg

Guess the chain was sloppy at some stage, the panel is rubbed clear. We may never know heh :( Any other way to tell? They got antique value or something?

OK Craig good to know, I don't need the new coil but I like to understand! :)

i found my spare DS coil too, but couldn't get a reading off the primary circuit.
i wire wheeled the mounting brackets/earths, but still nothing.
i had a another try tonight, played around and got a reading.
i found the red lead needed to be on the earth point, and the black lead on the terminal.
it may have a diode built in to the coil?
it took a bit of moving the leads around, but it came up that mine has a primary resistance of 2.2 Ohms.

Yeah I remember when I got that 3 million ohm reading or near about that I was talking about, it only worked with the probes one way, it must have a diode in it. I couldn't get it down to 1 ohm though. I won't bother testing again though it goes well.

So... how does the DS ignition work then? it charges a capacitor inside that coil assy which must dump into the primary coil when the circuit is opened? I'm guessing that happens down in the stator some how..?

I couldn't get the thing to spark when I put the new coil in today, decided to test it and found this...
Coil_test.jpg
(0.3 ohm across primary coil)
Problem is it? What are the chances it came off the factory line like that?

What are the chances I did it.. I get 6V on the live wire from the stator on a kick, with my multimeter set to A/C V... No chance I'd have blown it is there? If I'd blown it it'd prob be open, not continuous right?

the 50cc would be a 6v Engine, being so old.

what colour stator wire are you testing ?

It's black I think, not sure about stripes. It's the wire that used to connect to the same terminal on the old coil and it ran like that...

The old coil had about 1.5ohm with that same test. Have I bought the wrong coil..

Latest posts

Back