buy or build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredrider69

Reaction score
hey guys, looking at purchasing either a stock crf50 or build one up from scratch, either way ill need a frame and swingarm but ide also like your reccomendations on some parts ect, not to sure between takewega? and TB...i know TB's chinese but is there much difference. Please comment!
do you think i should buy a stocker, what frame/swingarm/ parts?
this will be a bike i'll keep forever so not much expenses will be spared.

If you plan on spending money on it id build it up, would be fun,better and it would be how you want it

buy a stocky and just do it up slowly that way you can ride it from the start and along the way and it seems cheaper if you add bits as you go if you buy it all at once it gets abit scary how much you end up spending

pretty sure TB's not chinese just bottom end jap.
and yes there if a difference. iv heard that TB are slightly worse than taki in everyway. you get what you pay for. buying a stock one is defiantly cheaper but if you want to go for a full mod will be more expensive, but if you just want a stocker than buy a stock and put a couple of mods on... maybe you just want an 88 with bar kit and springs something like that?
and when people say not much expense's spared but are making a thread like this thats probably just a dream. go on fastermini's and find the 'dream mini builder' its pretty much a self quoter. i think you'll find that "not much expenses spared" well end up being over 10k....
also finding a genuine engine is not easy. unless you want to spend a few K and get a full taki motor and cases and all it
ll be finding one or buying a stock off ebay or the likes.
and with what swingarm and forks its all about witch ones will go together cause some just wont work like zhocies and a BBR super stock. also you will find it becoming much less 'mini' like the more parts you add so you have to take a step back and have a over look and think, how big do you really want it? what is it gonna be used for? do you have the funds?
im sure what i haven't covered will be covered by others as im tired....

yeh. i was sortof veering towards buying a stocker and modding it, probably thinking a redbaron or sano frame?

if i were running a stock frame, ide more than likley crack and bend it.....

maybe... you've been wrong before though...
well im not sure but its pretty proven that most - not all - of TB's parts are better quality then your 'standard' chinese parts...
but basically it all comes down to you get what you pay for. no matter where you say taki parts are made there still proven better parts than most if not all others on the market.

Taiwan IS part of China ... I learnt THAT in third grade public school ...

And as for what Bulldog says about Takegawa cranks :

Takegawa forgot to make 2 small holes on top of the connecting rod, like you can see with Honda, from 3mm.
So the pistion pin did not get enough lubrication, became hot, expended and brake the connection rod in two every time.

After i modified the Takegawa crankshaft like this, i never broke one again and i have send a fax to Takegawa back then to give them my results. :)

I didn't read this back when the thread was current ... All I can say is that IF Takegawa DID sell cranks without the two pin oiling holes in the top of the conrod ... then that's 100% proof that they've got idiots working for them who are posing as "engineers" ...

Without them there's an extremely high chance that the pin will lock up in the rod and snap the rod ... The excessive heat would travel thru the pin and cause it to also seize in the piston's pin bosses ... If the piston didn't crumble or the rod bore let go , then the rod would snap in half ...

How they could possibly over look that is beyond genuine engineering comprehension ... Honda XR's have had those two holes since 1973 ... It would demonstrate that Takegawa is just another company fumbling and bumbling their way by using the customers to be their R&D guinea pigs ... Another possibility is that the omission of the two pin bore oiling holes is deliberate and designed to shorten the life of their cranks/engines in order to keep a decent turnover of spare parts sales ... Unsuspecting customers will blindly and dumbly THINK that the failures are due to the high power output and accept it as being "normal" ... LOL ...

IF they are STILL selling cranks with NO pin bore oiling holes on the small end of the rod then that says it ALL ...

Honda monkey bike parts

http://www.takegawa.nl/img/big.php?id=587

http://www.takegawa.co.jp/2008_takegawa/flash/newitem/img/1009e_2_img/600/scut_crank_shaft_2p.jpg

http://www.takegawa.co.jp/2008_takegawa/flash/newitem/img/1009e_2_img/600/109crank_shaft_2p.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/507380_f520.jpg

It seems that Takegawa is extremely slow to rectify a known problem ... even stock CRF 50 rods have to two oiling holes ... Check out the date of the threads ...

Honda-Dax.com - Webboard • View topic - takegawa

Honda-Dax.com - Webboard • View topic - Takegawa power!!

On another note ... this DOES look extremely interesting :

SP TAKEGAWA Official Site

The main thing that stands out to me is that they've supposedly re-engineered the crank cases ... yet they've failed to strength the engine mount bosses ... ie put more meat around the outside of the bolt holes like Lifan and everyone else has ...

Last edited:
I don't know everything or claim that everything I say is 100% right ... NOBODY can make that claim ... but I do make sure that I have a fair idea of what I'm thinking before I post it ... and can back it up with factual evidence if needed ... but sometimes I might do a random post without much thought ... just like everyone else ...

What I do is post something ... then leave it up to others to point out what I don't know ... complete with backup facts and links/pics as proof ... I like to learn too you know ... and I give people credit when they teach me something new ... Nobody is above learning new things ...

Latest posts

Back