Cam Cover Bolt... HELP!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbows

Reaction score
Hey guys,

bought an Atomik MotoX a couple months ago and since the very first time i put it together the cam cover bolt keeps shearing and we've been to the fasteners to get a new bolt, one that was supposed to be 3x stronger and it did last a few rides but it happened again.

I rang atomik but they were no help does anyone have any ideas of what it might be.

most likely vibrations are the cause, the cover is not all that heavy duty so i wouldn't expect the bolt to be all that big and strong. . . not too sure but you could try a very strong loctite!

maybe the cover is stripped out, i wouldnt put loctite in there as it reacts with the alloy and youll never get it out again

Ok a little more info then.

the cover has been replaced and the bolt too with a 12.9 strength hi tensile bolt.

I've also used gasket glue and lock wired the bolt and it's not coming lose it's actually shearing down near the thread so my only conclusion is that the cheap arse chinese metal is expanding from the heat and stretching the bolt till it shears.

anyone this this is a reasonable explanation?

well the nect thing to try is make a cork washer so that is can take some of the pressure when the head expands.

If this works then i might end up replacing the head.

This is the weirdest thing ive ever heard.... maybe its done up way to tight. I've only ever done it up finger tight and then another 1/8th of a turn.

i can tell you it's not we've tried it every way, tight not tight (which rattles lose) about the same as what your saying finger then 1/8th and still no luck.

Get a Lifan bolt or take yur bike to an EXORCIST ........

get a new cam cover ? I recently tightened mine up and herd this click noise and suddenly the thread has been ripped out of the cover.Best of all to replace the cam cover with a billet one

Latest posts

Back