can't find neutral

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amitchaR

Reaction score
hey all i just bought a lifan 140 off one of the members here and after i put the new oil sling on it i put it on a engine mount wired it up and started it , works great but thge sprocket is moving when it is in neutral its tight and its as if its in 1st but its in the right gear if that makes sence. i have no idea on how to correct it and i don't want to go pulling it apart if i don't know how to fix it, has anyone else had this problem before? can anyone help me please?

Attachments

• deano's 003.jpg
    deano's 003.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 27
did you start it the way it is pictured?

if so, then dont start it again....the problem your having is probably due to the fact that there is no oil in it and the gears are trying to weld themselves together...

how long did you have it running like this?

nah mate i didn't start it without the crank case on i oiled it and started it properly but i just went out and had another look and when i loosened off the center nut on the clutch it seemed to find neutral with ease, dose this sound right?

na keep that nut tight

you will find once it has some weight on it you wont notice that

you should be able to grab that sprocket and stop it with your hand (be careful)

or put a chain around it and grab that

im glad you didnt do wat i thought.....

maybe the clutch is installed wrong... pretty easy to mix up the way it all goes together..
check this to make sure everything is in order. YX.GPX engine exploded diagram
it is a yx manual but they share the same bits in the clutch setup...

there should be a thick washer and a pronged washer inbetween the clutch basket and the center hub...
put the washer on first and turn it a little then put the pronged washer in next to lock the washer.....

if all thats in order then check for anything that has seized

like cooly said that sprocket will spin if the bike has no pressure on the sprocket.

once you hook up the chain etc it will most likely be fine

well i know that the sprocket wasn't just spinning from the vibration of the engine like i thought, i have a damn big blood blister and cut to prove it lol. well i'll go tighten it up tomoro and lock tight it but there must be a washer out of place or something but i'll have a look, i'm just glad it isn't anything really wrong with it :)

would it possible that if he put the engine in the bike that when you hook up the clutch cable it puts that little bit of pressure on the clutch basket?

i ask this as ive taken my clutch off before and had to replace the cluth basket gear and i never had a problem with it and wouldn't of thought that it would be easy to mix it up but i did pay very close attention when i pulled it off and put it back together the same day i took it off so i didnt forget

thanks for the tips guys and that was a great video, i'm 99% sure i put it back on the way i took it off but there's allways room for error i sapose. it may be that the clutch needs a slight pressure of the clutch cable for it to spin freely in neutral but atm i have to change the clutch cable mount so the engine will fit in my 06 atomik frame its a bit of effort but the frame setup is one of the strongest setups i could find so in the long run it should be a reliable bike, anyways thanks for the posts and if anyone else has a sugestion please let me know but i think i have it figured out now. cheers.

Latest posts

Back