CBR250RR build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIKKO_X2

Reaction score
G'day guys,

A few weeks ago I picked up a used Honda cbr250rr mc22 from a member of the cbr forum. He wasn't a mechanically inclined chap so to him the bike looked f***ed. After a quick inspection I quickly snapped it up.

Got it home and the main issues are:
-engine dying when throttle applied
-broken fairings
-uneven blinking in indicators

These are the issues that will need to be fixed in order to get a roadworthy, there are plenty of other untidy bits that I will be fixing in order to make this bike a true beauty again.

I pulled the carbys off, cleaned and balanced them, with the bike then starting and idling like a dream.

The next thing to address was the fairing and indicators. I managed to pick up the required fairing pieces that I need for $120 and I am currently in the process of sanding everything back in order to spray them black.

I did some research on the indicators and I realised that the indicators weren't stock, with there being 3 different types of lights installed which was the reason for the uneven blinking. I have since bought a matching set of 4 aftermarket indicators which will fix the problem.

I am currently overseas so haven't been able to work on the bike, but while being away I have bought:
-stainless fairing bolts with anodized black washers
-anodized black screen bolts
-double bubble screen
-black grips with black barends
-black heel guards

I should be able to get a rwc for it in the next few weeks, with the following to follow,shortly after:
-rebuild front and rear suspension
-rebuild front and rear brake systems
-replace front and rear tyres
-replace sprockets and chain
-install led rear lights and more powerful headlights
-aftermarket muffler

Pictures to come in the next post, let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Last edited:
usu7ypyr.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I should be able to get a rwc for it in the next few weeks, with the following to follow,shortly after:
-rebuild front and rear suspension
-rebuild front and rear brake systems
-replace front and rear tyres
-replace sprockets and chain
-install led rear lights and more powerful headlights
-aftermarket muffler

#1 thing on that list should be tyres, especailly something of that vintage. You'll find a date stamp on the tyres somewhere (or a code for a date) and you'll get an idea of how old they are. Depending on the previous rider you might find they have some age on them which makes them hard and slippery, when i picked up my 9 the first thing i did was get the suspension set up for me, when getting that done the guy mentioned the tyres looked a little old (not cracking or anything, just he knows his sheet) then when we looked and matched up the date stamp we found the tyres were quite probably the originals, i.e they were stamped as 98 tyres and the bike was made in 96. So first thing to fix up was that, no point fixing up everything else then chuck it down the road the first corner you come too ;)

Yeah the tyres are very old and are high on the priority list but at the moment the current tyres will pass a rwc and that is my main priority so that I can get it registered, then I can ride it down the street to the bike shop to get them changed for some Pirelli's rather than have to rent a trailer just to take it down the road before the rwc.

All of the secondary upgrades are things that it will need before I feel comfortable riding it properly or taking on track days but aren't required for the rwc

Cool cool, and just another note, don't run pirelli's get a good tyre like a Bridgestone or Michelin. From what i have heard around the traps, Pirelli are now all made in China and are getting **** reviews from most people. My local guy (who mainly does race stuff) won't even stock em anymore, i had to whinge at him so he'd get me some for the mini :)

Awesome build Sikko. About time we seen a road bike build. + Reps for you

That's an OG CBR. Love the retro scheme.

Timmy pirelli's are **** tyres on a mini. Stick with Dunlops you can't go wrong.

The Pirelli's are great tyres for this bike, the sport demons are said to be one of the best all round tyres for it.

I will make sure that I put lots of photos up when I get back

Timmy pirelli's are **** tyres on a mini. Stick with Dunlops you can't go wrong.

Went the soft options (it was soft or med-soft) they're still hangin in there but they seemed to go "off" after about the second race meet combined with a bit of bush riding. HOWEVER i was upgrading from the stock china's that it shipped with, af i'd gone to wooden tyres it would of still been an upgrade ;)

Cool cool, and just another note, don't run pirelli's get a good tyre like a Bridgestone or Michelin. From what i have heard around the traps, Pirelli are now all made in China and are getting **** reviews from most people. My local guy (who mainly does race stuff) won't even stock em anymore, i had to whinge at him so he'd get me some for the mini :)
Stocked them in the previous shop i worked at.. Every one wanted pirrellis and no other
there great on the road.. dont know what you have been fed maybe thats about the car tyres

Stocked them in the previous shop i worked at.. Every one wanted pirrellis and no other
there great on the road.. dont know what you have been fed maybe thats about the car tyres

Nah, definitely road bikes. I think everybody wants them because they have/had the name. On my cars it used to be the case of nothing was anywhere near as good as peirrelli, but not so anymore. Michelin pilots or roads would definitely be the most popular now though. Just gotta look through the pits at any track day or and bike parking area.

Got back from overseas to a box of little goodies
eqameryz.jpg

I also decided to rebuild the carbs again, the first time I rebuilt them was just a quick job so that i could start diagnosing any other issues. This time I had new seals for each Carb to put in also.

All set out in baggies, soaking in carby cleaner
yta5a3u7.jpg

Almost done
ge4adehe.jpg

Back on the bike
ebysaqup.jpg

Started her up and she sounds beautiful, just need to do a balance.

The degreaser that I sprayed it with must have reacted with the alloy as the frame was covered in oxidation
3e5egysa.jpg

A bit of vinegar and sandpaper fixed that right up
u6ysesam.jpg

I also noticed that the rear brake isn't working, I will have to replace the fluid and inspect the pads tomorrow and possibly give it a rebuild if it's bad.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

nice one, seems like you know your stuff , tuning and re-building those 4 carbs must be nightmare!

they arent too bad, if you break it down and look at it like your doing 1 carb 4 times then its fine, just a bit time consuming. I have ordered some new fork seals and am getting some other fork goodies in the next week so ill be able to do a full fork rebuild

they arent too bad, if you break it down and look at it like your doing 1 carb 4 times then its fine, just a bit time consuming. I have ordered some new fork seals and am getting some other fork goodies in the next week so ill be able to do a full fork rebuild

with those fork seals your gonna need one of those special fork tools, or try a rattle gun, to get the bottom bolt out. I did my FZR forks (after throwing it into a mountain side) and after rmoving them and trying for days with mates help to get them apart i relented and took them a bike shop to tear apart and put back together, which in turn cost me $85 (this was 15yrs ago) which i reckon was a rort, didn't even put fork oil back in them :hache:

with those fork seals your gonna need one of those special fork tools, or try a rattle gun, to get the bottom bolt out. I did my FZR forks (after throwing it into a mountain side) and after rmoving them and trying for days with mates help to get them apart i relented and took them a bike shop to tear apart and put back together, which in turn cost me $85 (this was 15yrs ago) which i reckon was a rort, didn't even put fork oil back in them :hache:

Yeah I have heard that the bottom bolt is a **** to remove, hopefully I will get lucky. Just ordered a head lift stand to make it easier to get the forks off, I will also replace head stem bearings while I'm at it

Yeah I have heard that the bottom bolt is a **** to remove, hopefully I will get lucky. Just ordered a head lift stand to make it easier to get the forks off, I will also replace head stem bearings while I'm at it

Getting the forks off wasn't to bad at all, I just hoisted it to the roof ;) Just that bolt.

Getting the forks off wasn't to bad at all, I just hoisted it to the roof ;) Just that bolt.

Latest posts

Back