cdi boxes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi james! (yes thats my name too)
A Capacative Discharge Ignition unit holds the current from the generator, raises its frequency to thousands of volts and then fires it like a shot through the spark plug lead at precicely the right time to keep your motor running. A CDI unit incorperates a solid state logically programmable chip allowing unprecedented control over engine ignition timing throughout the engines entire rev range, as well as limiting the eventual speed of the motor under agreed conditions.
What could be thought of as a programmable electronic distributor.
Previously this job would have been done by a mechanical distributor/capacitor, with centrifugal weights and or a vacuum diaphragm advancing the spark on the power stroke.
A CDI unit promises to allow the motor engineers to time precicely when the spark plug will fire, at any point in the rev range, to provide the maximum power output under all predictable conditions. It also allows for efficient limiting of engine revs at the red line or in top gear.

hi james! (yes thats my name too)
A Capacative Discharge Ignition unit holds the current from the generator, raises its frequency to thousands of volts and then fires it like a shot through the spark plug lead at precicely the right time to keep your motor running. A CDI unit incorperates a solid state logically programmable chip allowing unprecedented control over engine ignition timing throughout the engines entire rev range, as well as limiting the eventual speed of the motor under agreed conditions.
What could be thought of as a programmable electronic distributor.
Previously this job would have been done by a mechanical distributor/capacitor, with centrifugal weights and or a vacuum diaphragm advancing the spark on the power stroke.
A CDI unit promises to allow the motor engineers to time precicely when the spark plug will fire, at any point in the rev range, to provide the maximum power output under all predictable conditions. It also allows for efficient limiting of engine revs at the red line or in top gear.

oh okays so that's what they do but is there a change from using stock cdi boxes to a high rev 1

well yeah it gives you a bit more power and higher revs
i wanna get one of em too but dad said no:(
but if i were you then i would get one mate!

Last edited:
nah a hi-rev cdi ain't gonna do shit, your money is better spent on a decent carby or an ork

A Capacative Discharge Ignition unit holds the current from the generator, raises its frequency to thousands of volts and then fires it like a shot through the spark plug lead at precicely the right time to keep your motor running.

Close, but not quite. The stator produces a current that charges the capacitor in the CDI unit, when the capacitor it charged, it discharges. The speed at which it charges and discharges is determined by both the voltage and its uF rating (one with a lower rating will charge and subsequently discharge in a quicker cycle) The capacitor discharges its relatively low voltage (at a guess 50-a couple of hundred V's) through the ignition coil, which steps the voltage up to a couple of thousand volts, that is necessary for the spark to make the jump between the gap on the spark plug.

well i think ill just go with betta carbiee but first new engine i have an 18 tooth front sproket that hoons when on my 125 cant wait to see it on 140
coppers will have no chancee

and i hate how you cant buy just a carbiee you have to but all the extras like i dont need a air filter and my throtle cable is just fine lol

the reason DHZ sell the carb with all the bits is because you need all the bits..

normal air cleaner will not fit
you need the manifold adapter boot because the carby isnt a bolt up type
and the standard cable may be to short but cant be fixed by removing a little of the outer cable..

email Ken from DHZ and tell him wat ya want and he'll quote accordingly

Latest posts

Back