Chain adjuster bolts snapped inside the swingarm

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derko

Reaction score
hey guys

the chain adjuster bolts snapped inside the swingarm...just wondering do you think its worth trying to drill them out, an hope that the thread dosnt strip an get new bolts....or just buy a new swingarm for bout $300 ?

Last edited:
When I bought my last bike it was secondhand and the chain adjuster bolts looked like twisties. So I drilled them out re-threaded them and put nice big high tensile bolts in and they have gone great guns. Therefore if you have a bit of spare time I would say give it a go because not only will you save yourself some money you will also get that sense of accomplishment in the fact that you fixed it yourself. Just my two cents.

Yeh exact same thing... bolts looked like twisties lol...is it a special drill bit ?

Spray each broken off bolt with WD-40 or penetrating oil first ... Drill into the dead centre of each bolt about 3 mm with a small diameter drill bit ... carefully heat the alloy around 'em ... Then try drilling 'em out with a bigger drill bit and the drill in reverse ...

You can also drill the small diameter holes then hammer a phillips head bit in to wedge it in then try using an impact driver in reverse ... Sometimes even a small spanner on the Phillips head hex tip gets 'em out ... Even a splined or allen key Hex head tip might work ... If you use your scone , you can taper grind an old allen key to hammer into the drilled holes ...

Another way is to get someone with a MIG welder to carefully spot weld a nut onto the end of the broken off bolts ... The heat usually loosens 'em up so they back out easily ... I use soft mild steel nuts that are prepared by holding 'em in Vise Grips while I counter bore a cone into 'em so that I can ensure that I get a good weld going ...

Latest posts

Back