chain angle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadof2

Reaction score
I have a quad bike with a lifan type make engine of 125cc and it is a 3 speed semi auto type of gearbox

The problem I’m having is the angle of the front cog in relation to the rear cog
the rear cog sits to the right of the front cog by around 5 mm

What i have done to try and fix it is slide the rear cog down the axle shaft so it runs true

The parts i can’t or don’t know how to check are Can i shim this , if i shim this so the rear cog sits further down the axle shaft would this have any after affect

Picture or video of what it’s doing

Last edited:
i couldnt see a problem with shimming the sprocket, just make sure you use higher tensile bolts.
and maybe you can get another rear sprocket and cut the teeth section off it and double them up..
the more mating surface the sprocket has with what ever you shim it with the great chance of it working and lasting..
I.E: dont just nuts or washers to shim it..

but yeah a pic or 2 would be awesome..

cheers mate
ive shimmed it up using proper shims from an old front end and it seems to have corrected the crappy chinese enginering
ill edit the first post with the pics when the youngest can find where she has
"packed the camera away "

so pic 2 is the result of moving the hub on the spine like in pic 1 is it?

not sure how'd you go with spacing the hub, cause the hub actually needs to bottom out on the splin doesnt it?
id probly go with spacing the sprocket..

the ass end of the bike hasnt had a big hit has it???

ahhh i learnt how to do this (thanks Nic:D) but i probly wont explain it very well

if you havnt done it, give it a try

you have to take both rear wheels off, and there are 2 nuts (one on either side of the 'swing arm' if they are called that on quads?) from memory they were 23 mm or so. loosen the one on the right hand side of the bike (looking from the back) and tighten the left hand side one resulting in the whole axle moving to the left.

if that doesnt help il see if i can find some pics of what i mean.

:)

the ass end of the bike hasnt had a big hit has it???
its had a few ha ha ,but it has been like this since day 1 just dont want it to chew out another chain and cog
ahhh i learnt how to do this (thanks Nic:D) but i probly wont explain it very well

if you havnt done it, give it a try :)

you have to take both rear wheels off, and there are 2 nuts (one on either side of the 'swing arm' if they are called that on quads?) from memory they were 23 mm or so. loosen the one on the right hand side of the bike (looking from the back) and tighten the left hand side one resulting in the whole axle moving to the left.

if that doesnt help il see if i can find some pics of what i mean.
i think i know what you mean but
ive tried that but all that does is centre the axle the cog slides on the axle so it stays untrue
only soloution i could think of was to modify the swing arm or shim the cog
i shimed the cog its been on a test ride and chain was sweet so i was told
ill check it tomorrow for wear
cheers guys

Latest posts

Back