Changing front wheel from 14" to 12"

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worm

Reaction score
Hey guys

just bought myself a 125cc bike. They all seem to have 14" fronts (except expensive Atomik rs) so I bought one with a 14" front.

I hear people say to use a 12" for a front.... but im getting confused!

Do you use the exact same wheel as you would put on the back but lace? a new hub from your 14" front. Can I buy any old 12" front off ebay and put it on the front? or is the whole purpose of lacing the hub onto a rear to provide you with the same tyre front and back?

only if your racing motard other wise no point that would suck, you can just buy 12in front rims...

Buy a new rim, least you know it isn't out of round, and get someone to lace it up to your front hub, shouldn't cost too much. Just when you ring around to get it laced be prepared for the old "I'm real busy at the moment, blah blah blah"

If you're in Sydney give Chivo's at Granville a call, they do good quality work at a fair price.I've had them lace up SuperMotard wheels in the past.

just find a 12'' front that fits your axle size, ask the sellers that have the 12'' front on there pittys if they sell them

i had a 14'' front and changed it to a 12'' i just bought a 12'' no need to re lace

Sorted, cheers guys.

I bought a 12" front that fits a 12mm axle (1.85width). Same width as rear. Cost me $60 delivered and its alloy :)

depending on what kind of riding you are going to do and if you still plan to do any dirt riding will change what wheel sets you want. I got a full minimotard wheel set from DHZ recently, they are to suit 15mm axles but i am led to believe that a quick change of the bearings will change that to 12mm. The advantage is I now have 2 complete wheel sets. 1 for dirt, 1 for motard, takes about 10mins to change from one to the other. Also DHZ's minimotard sets are a 12" x 2.15 wide rims meaning they will handle a bigger tyre easier.
NEW 12" FRONT/REAR KENDA SUPER MOTARD WHEEL COMPLETE - eBay Other Makes, Bikes, Motorcycle Parts, Cars, Bikes Boats. (end time 07-Nov-07 11:33:15 AEDST)
thats the wheel sets i got, if you keep your eye out they do auction ones some times a bit cheaper.

Nice wheels spoon. For me thought, I would rather purchase them individually so I can buy a good motard tyre. And 2.15 wont fit... 1.85 JUST fit as it is... The only problem I have is the wheel spacers. I will need to modify them to fit both wheels. My modifying techniques are "noobish". All im going to do is add a heap of washers lol
I will need two sets of wheels now though.... after riding on dirt I will def be doing it on a regular basis and motard it whenever a race meet is on.

what bike do you have worm?
I have emailed DHZ to see if he would sell the wheels without tyres and tubes and was told that wasn't a problem and i think it was something like $145 posted. I ended up buying them complete so there done and dusted and i have something to put around on now.
What problems are you having with your spacers?
maybe post some pics and someone may have had similar issue.
Also if you can only just fit the 1.85 front rim in then you won't fit a decent tyre in there as the tyre is wider then the rim.

Nah, the wheel will fit with a bigger tyre as its not the tyre that wont allow it to fit but rather the spokes hitting the brake calliper.
I have a lei XY-S 125cc
The spacers are to long because of the wider tyre. its not that much or a problem. ill just cut them so they fit with the larger wheel. When I need to fit the smaller wheel ill just add some washers to center the wheel on the axle.

hahahaha your funny :p
have a look at where the spokes go on the rim
wider rim won't change spoke to caliper clearance as the spokes go to about the center of the rim. Wider rim they will still mount to the rim in the same place.
don't forget if you go cutting your spacers that you need to cut them so your wheel is still centered and your brake rotor lines up. Be careful with the front as too wide or too narrow will cause the fork tubes to basically flex in or out and will either give you really poor feeling or will break your suspension.

Pitty they don't run the standard hubs like Pitpro, DHZ, ect ect do otherwise it would be a simple bolt up setup.

Hey shit, good point re wider rim! lol *slaps head*

The hub on these bikes is only 12mm, it is a shame. Never the less, the bike was $200 cheaper than the others.
It pretty much is a bolt up setup. just need to change the front spacers as the hubs are different width for the 12" and 14" wheel. Pitpro, DHZ would be the same wouldnt it?

nah man i think you will find the problem is the original style of hubs used on your bike. My XR140 came with 14/12 setup and I got a set of the motard wheels from DHZ (and got some rotors and a sprocket so i didn't have to change them) unpacked it all when it arrived, bolted rotors and sprocket to hubs, adjusted tyre pressures and checked there was no loose spokes. Undid old wheels and just popped new ones on.
They use the same hub for the 12" and 14", hell if i really wanted i could probably lace up any size wheel with the right spokes to suit.
That is one of the huge advantages of going with one of the mainstream chinese minibike companys. There seems to be more bolt up aftermarket gear easily available. The problem you will be facing is that they probably made your hubs up to there specs.

no probs
where are you located?
btw we wanna see some pics of you minimotard out racing
I'll be getting some pics / video when mine hits the track

Hi everyone I'm in the process of doing the wheel change thing on two bikes (1 for me and 1 for my 15yo son) we plan to get into some motard in the new year. We are located on the sunny coast qld where do you get track time masterspoon?

saber/ Tina

Anyone know where they run motard in the gympie area? Havin a thought of giving it a go:D

Dont worry, I plan on having heaps of pics lol

I just got my new bike delivered (lei XY-S), lucky I hadnt bought a rear wheel as this bike has a 15mm rear axle!
I hope to have it up and motarded by end of month.

oh, btw. Im from melbourne... will be racing at "the track" in south morang which happens to be 5 min up the rd.

hey custom the closest place i know of to gympie is either Archerfield, Brisbane or bundy. motard has quite a folowing at gladstone as well.

Saber

Thanks:) Im going to try and get onto the marybrough motocycle club see if they'll get a mini class at action park. Will let yas know how i go

Latest posts

Back