changing the air filter

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paechy

Reaction score
how much of a diffrance is it when replacing the air filter over to uni filter is it a major diffrence or just small.

It all depends on how restrictive your stock filter is ... The only REAL way to increase performance yet still maintain adequate filtering is to increase the SIZE or LENGTH of a filter ... Increasing the pore size of the filter foam will reduce restriction but will also allow more fine particles to pass thru into the engine ...

Keeping any foam filter clean and properly oiled is the key to maintaining performance ... obviously a bigger or longer filter is going to maintain it's peak airflow for longer periods than a small one ... As a filter starts blocking up , the suction will increase so the air starts taking the easiest pathway ... If the surface area is too small the higher suction can pull dirt particles thru the pores ... A larger surface area decreases the chance of dirt and grit getting sucked thru by taking longer to block up ...

You could test any pod type filter out on the end of a vacuum cleaner (with bag removed or a new bag fitted ... ignore this if you have Dyson ... LOL ) ... If you hear the sound change in the slightest when you attach your filter to the end of the hose ... then it is restrictive ... You could use the same test to see if you're over oiling your filter ...

Disclaimer ... I accept no responsibility if any goon tries the test with oil dripping everywhere ... stuffs their Moms vacuum cleaner and carpet up ... then cops a smack in the ear for bein' so stupid ...

don't forget unifilters are more reliable too, most china filers were either torn already from brand new or tore while being oiled, unifilter are tuff and won't do this

They're not dog proof as I discovered after our Staffy had a go at eating the one on my XR ... UNI's are superior , but they have bigger pores and need to be kept properly oiled otherwise they CAN allow grit to get thru ... I'd only buy the long 150 mm one's ... The short angled ones look like pus and the pores are too big ... I've got both brand new and am not impressed with the short one ...

Latest posts

Back