changing tyres

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_mike

Reaction score
Had to change my rear wheel today its a 12" rim i managed to get the tyre off the old rim but cannot get it to go on the new rim.
I have tried using long lever bars and everythin but cannot get the tyre to slip on the last part.
Any1 got any tips for changing tyres that might help me?

cheers mike

Brute force.... And try to 'lever' (lol) it on!:p

try doing a 10inch....ouch!

only tip i can give you is, only try and lever small sections at a time, dont try and do 3-4 inch at a time, just lever say an inch at a time,

take your time and itll eventually pop on,

Goodluck

yeh your rollin 12's :p try a 10 for a laugh haha

you need 2 tire levers they help shit loads and some washing up detergent ;) always helps =)

Changing tyres is so frustrating, it's hard for me on my BMX.

I just take my wheel down to honda lol

smart

dude im not trying to be smart but i would go to a shop they got the machine to do it in 5 seconds and you wont scratch your new rim and wont wreck your tyres. max price $10 :rolleyes:

haha if you do it right you dont scratch your rim ;) but trust me when you changing your tire get a new tube 2 go in ;) they can be such a prick and especially when your killing andything inside to get it off ;)

As Darb110 has said, it will pop on easy with dishwashing liquid. I re-laced 3 rims the other day and had to replace the 12" tyres on them, I had all 3 tyres on in half an hour.
Take it slow, use your feet and levers and enough dishwashing liquid to make your mum go balistic and it will slide on.
A lot of it is down to technique which you will find on your own.
Also, make sure when you remove the lever each time, don't just rip it out, take it out by sliding it to the left or right, you will get less tube pinching this way and less rim scratching.
I also use a rag over the end of my levers when replacing the tyre, it also helps with reducing the scratches.
Be patient and good luck.

P.S if this fails, do as Kwikaz said and take it to a shop. $10 is cheaper than fixing the wall you have just thrown the rim through with the shits...lol

yeh i dont have any problems with takin it to a shop its just finding the time due to the hours i work and where i work.
I'll have another crack with some dishwashin liquid tommorrow.

cheers

Yeppers, alot of liquid soap is the answer.
12" are no big deal with soap as mentioned above. 10" are a nightmare though and will likely drive you to insanity

Any videos of someone mounting a 10" that doesn't have a punctured tube? :confused:

get a shop to do it! get those who know how to do it... to do it

if not you can put a hole in the tube! damage the tyre and the rim (done the same myself)

Ive been told by the honda shop not to use dishwashing liquid cause it doesnt dry and shit and it makes your tyre heaps slippery on the rim so it spins and gets you another puncture lol.

It drys, and actually gets tacky when drying. Other wise tyre shops wouldn't use it.

Hi All,

I have a 10" rim I need to get the tyre off, a new tube into and the tyre back on.

I did the sane thing.

I removed the wheel and took the whole thing to DHZ at Liverpool NSW. They looked at the wheel and said " our machine cant do a 10" we can sell you the tube though".

Not real happy, but I guess the machine can onloy do what it does.

Will most bike shops be able to do the 10" tyre? Should I look for a scooter shop or something similar as they are probably used to dealing with little wheels etc.

Thanks

Paul

Latest posts

Back