chasing info and pics of big bike air boxes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaMan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i am hoping someone can help me with some info and pics of air boxes from big bikes or any bike with a standard airbox.

as some of you may have seen in my other thread i am trying to fabricate an airbox for an atomik mid size nitrous, my plan was to have the top of the box open facing the bottom of the seat to allow airflow but looking at it last night i am unsure if this will be enough as there is not alot of clearance between the seat and frame.

if anyone can help me i am after some info on airboxes, eg, where they are located, where the air inlet is and how the filter is located inside the airbox, also if you can throw up some pics of the airboxes it would be awesome.

Cheers for all your help.

Pete

i have a few at home that i will be able to show you. but this is the only one i have a photo of at the moment.

as you can see from the shot's there is very little room for air to get between the seat. so yours will work as well. my 450X has the same setup, but my 450R has cut outs as standard.

WarnyAllIn004.jpg
WarnyAllIn005.jpg

Cheers for the quick reply mate,

how does the seat sit on top of the frame? on mine the ribs on the seat base are pretty close to where the frame runs, there might be 3 sections about 50mm long x 5mm high for air to get through.

do you thinik this will be enough?

its very hard to explain this stuff over writing. ill try and remember to take some photo's for you next week.

try looking through the air cleaner section for all the different bikes.
HEREis the link for a KLX300, the intake is under the seat and behind plastics. Works fine, doesn't make heaps of power but it works.

theres a model of bike like the atomik link that uses an airbox like your building... i cant for the life of me remember the brand tho..

pitster pro lxr run one too

try and suss out an atomik proX 250 air box they fit in a subframe you just need to make a bracket for it to sit on

Lucky you, I've got my bike apart, it's a '91 RM125
You can see that plastic cover on top of the air filter, a previous owner has cut that in half to try and increase air flow, I'm assuming it used to cover the entire airbox. Those 2 holes with the mesh behind them are the only other entry points except the little drain dik on the bottom for the excess filter oil (you can see the end of it in front of the shock absorber in the 5th photo). Hope the pics help you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back