cheap 110cc bikes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gazza2003au said:
this is from experience! we had a suzuki DS80 about 8 years ago or something like that i dont keep track... we gave it a top end rebuild NOTHING WRONG WITH THE SLEVE just gave it a rebuild with a new top end kit rode the bike for 20-30mins it blew up (piston and rings) go figure :roll: ever since i use the running in process ive never had a problem u think i havent owned a bike or two in my life? i can name every bike ive owned...

Geez mate, take a chill pill, no need to get a bug up your arse about this you know? I never once mentioned that you hadn't owned bikes before, you're acting like I'm getting all personal and shit when I'm not. Ok, you think running in is for real, I think it's bullshit. Nothing wrong with that you know, it would be a boring old world if we all thought the same :roll: Its called having a debate, or even discussion, this is a discussion forum after all. You are allowed to disagree with me and I'm allowed to disagree with you, it's good. Gets people thinking.

I put my money where my mouth is on this, that Triumph was basically my first (and so far last) brand new bike. It cost me $14,000 which is a shitload of money to me (had to get a loan) and I was shitting myself that I would fuck it up by running it in hard, but I took the risk and I'm glad I did.

2x PeeWee 50's,YZ 60,92 DS80,96 DS80,82 YZ80,83 CR80,2x 95 RM80,85 YZ125,93 KX125,94 RM125,92 DR200,95 YZ250,98 KX250,2x 05 110cc and a couple other bikes to go along with those.... how many blown or **** top ends do u think ive had from the "running in process" on these bikes? 1 that was the 92 DS80 witch we didnt run in after we screwed the motor we rebuilt it ran it in never had another problem

Without being there and seing the bike and resulting engine damage I can't say if it was break in process or something else that made it fail (manufacturing fault etc etc) so I won't speculate. But I will say this, do you reckon Valentino Rossi, Casey Stoner, Anthony West, Mick Doohan, Chad Reed, Ricky Carmichael, Darryl Beattie, Garry McCoy, Andrew Pitt etc etc run their race bikes in real careful, or do they just get out there and give it some stick?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What it boils down to is this, it's your money so spend it how you want, and do with it what you will. Hard or soft break in, it doesn't matter, as long as you're happy and having fun.

Not sure I agree with you on this one lemmiwinks, I think that engines should be run in to a degree before you start to thrash them. Bearings etc. do have some slight metal to metal contact because even good bearings are not perfectly smooth when new and they are microscopically polished as part of the running in process. Ring need to bed into the bore but I agree that running in too gently or for too long can cause the bore to become glazed and then the rings will never bed properly. Also the internal components are actually being heat treated as well as part of the heat cycles that the engine goes through, if the engine gets too hot (or not hot enough) this heat treatment which among other things stabalizes the bore does not occur. Every one has their own opinions on how to break in their engine and the only thing that is safe to say is don't THRASH it from the word go but don't baby it either. Don't let it over heat and pay attention to the mixture by checking the plug after each of the first few rides so you are sure its not lean, a little rich is ok. When its run in lean the jetting a little if need be to get the mixture spot on.

These are my views (and my views only) on running in.
If you like to do something different thats fine too.
Each to their own. :D

sorry dude i didnt mean it like that... as for the racers im sure they get there gear specialy made and there bikes get a full rebuild after every race :wink:

sorry gazza shoulda sent you a pm,

ill run my bike in my own way, everyone has there own opinion

BoneGraft said:
Not sure I agree with you on this one lemmiwinks, I think that engines should be run in to a degree before you start to thrash them.<snip>

Thats ok, good even :D Debate = thinking and ultimately everyone has to draw their own conclusions based on their own experiences.

I should qualify my statement earlier by saying I would agree with you too, thrashing is no good (although I have thrashed my pocketbike as much as I could from the word go because I just don't care). What I did with my Triumph was I rolled the throttle on hard, but not full throttle, in 3rd gear a few times going from 3,000rpm to 4,000rpm (7,500rpm redline so I consider that to be midrage). Then 3,500 to 4,500rpm a few times, just letting it accelerate hard then closing the throttle and letting engine braking slow it back down. I did this a few times over the first 50kms, then deciding that the rings were bedded in I rode normally (I don't usually thrash 4 strokes, so around 4,000 rpm was normal at cruising speed). I was really concerned that it would be a shitter because of that, but believe me, that motor was a pearler. My intention was to keep the bike for at least 100,000kms (common with BMW bikes and Jap sportsbikes if they aren't troweled before then :wink:) and I fully expected that the motor would last that long without a rebuild, the only reason I sold it with 19,000kms on it was it was too damn uncomfortable and I didn't have time to ride it anymore ($14k worth of bike sitting in the shed is not a luxury I can afford!)

The only reason I hit the rev limiter was I was overtaking a car up a twisty bit of road and due to me concentrating on what I was doing and not looking at the tacho, I didn't notice it was wound out. The pipes were freakishly quiet, it was like riding a sewing machine, you truly couldn't hear the motor.

These are my views (and my views only) on running in.
If you like to do something different thats fine too.
Each to their own. :D

Exactly :D 8)

gazza2003au said:
sorry dude i didnt mean it like that... as for the racers im sure they get there gear specialy made and there bikes get a full rebuild after every race :wink:

No worries. Didn't want you getting bent out of shape just cause we disagree on something. Disagreement is good :wink:

im more worried about bending/breaking this bike than blowing it up or seizing it

they are good little bike the price/quality is awesome 1/3rd the price of a well known brand and they dont break like everyone says well our 2 havent anyways in about the last 4 months we have not had any parts bend or break that i know off just a few bolts come loose

gazza2003au said:
ive read that site... go pull your bike down take out the little end bearings pull them apart and tell us what u see 8) on 50% of bikes i have rebuilt from seized motors its the bearings that caused it

i see an engine that looks like it hasnt been ridden b4, so clean and smooth!!! 8)

gazza2003au ,Have got the same bike as you .Have you replaced your shock.Off road express have one off their thumpstar for $80 thinking of this.

we havent upgraded the shocky the stock one isnt to shabby i took my missus and my little nephew out today with there two bikes one of the coils went :cry:

stop spamming shit dude, if u dont have any thing good to say, dont say it

Latest posts

Back