choosing new sprockets, need help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont know if anyone picked up on it but it sounds like dvdrip was thinking of running a 428 chain on 420 sprockets.... if you did get the 420 sprockets then you will need a 420 chain, thats how it works.
i could be wrong, just sounded like that to me.

dont know if anyone picked up on it but it sounds like dvdrip was thinking of running a 428 chain on 420 sprockets.... if you did get the 420 sprockets then you will need a 420 chain, thats how it works.
i could be wrong, just sounded like that to me.
nah mate I'm getting 428 sprockets with a 428 chain

I put on my new sprockets today, I wasn't sure if this mod would make much difference but it made a HUGE difference in the way the bike rides.
1st gear now has a range of revs so is no longer useless and jerky, engine braking seems to have been reduced a bit which I don't mind becuz it was really strong before, and it's just all around better for cruizing.
Thanks for all your help guys, I woulda never know which sprocket to get otherwise
:D

the bike has 4 gears, may as well be able to use all of them

what chain did you end up getting ??

also did you end up getting 428 pitch sporckets in billet i can't find any anywhere ??

Last edited:
when I was looking at sprockets there was heaps of cnc one's on ebay, I don't think the good looks of the CNC justify the massive price, so I just got normal ones. I think mine was $20 and the cnc was $50, F@#K that. I'm thinking about painting mine to make it look better

I got an RK Heavy Duty, about $40 at the Yamaha shop

Hey DVD Rip im looking into getting some new sprockets and a new chain soon just for a bit of a power upgrade such as urself atm i cant really use 1st for much at all its pretty much slow to mid walking speed but i ride forrestry which i use alot of high 3rd and all of 4th but i also ride tracks which i usually use 2nd and 3rd and only 4th on longer straights but would love to include 1st do u think this setup would be good for me also? it sounds plausible and im really thinkin it will be good but would like some other opinions. Plus the tracks i ride mostly all have burms because they are only used by motorbikes dont kno why i said that but yeah :) How is the bottom end with this setup and has it affected ur top end?
Cheers Jason

well going from 16/41 to 16/37 I think bottom end is improved, I know it's meant to decrease acceleration but for some reason I find it better, I still pop the wheel up from 1st to 2nd to 3rd
when you drop in revs and go to pick up again you gotta clutch it allot more or you get nowhere, 1st is allot easier to use to get over big obstacles and on those extremely steep hill climbs you can use 1st without looping out.
I don't ride track so can't comment on that

thanks for the reply but when u say u have to clutch it a lot more or you get no where what do u mean?
is the acceleration really bad?
And when u say u can pop up monos from 1st to 2nd to 3rd is that in the same mono or can u pop up the front wheel in 3rd still?
Sorry to be a pain but im trying to figure out wether it is worth the money to move to this setup
I know i cant go entirley off what your opinion is because im no doubt going to be different but it really helps to have some advice

I mean with the longer gearing you have to keep the revs up and if the revs drop too much in say 3rd going around a corner instead of shifting to second then straight back to 3rd you gotta clutch it, with the shorter gearing I could stay in 3rd for ages and never have to downshift or clutch it, when I slowed down the bike would easily rev back up.

when shifting quickly through the gears it's hard to keep the front down without putting your weight on the front end. a sprocket's only like $20, I'd just get one and see how it goes, I was riding with 15/37 just the other day and I hated it, there's just not enough length between gear changes and sucks for wide open cruising

ok thanks heaps for your replies, i might see if i can get a 37 rear sprocket and see how i like it and then determine wether i need more teeth or not :) thanks also where did u buy ur sprockets??
Where i live there isnt any motorbike dearler ships but there are about 3-4 2 hours drive from here and we will be going up there in the next few weeks or did u buy them online?

Latest posts

Back