crf50 bogging

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodie107

Reaction score
hi guys just a question for you.

When i ride in the mud on my crf 50 it runs good for a while and when it gets real muddy i can only rev it until about quarter throtle then it bogs out or backfires and if i hold the throttle back it will conk out, but if i release it it goes back to idle.

then if i leave it for an hour and go for a ride not in the mud its fine?

thanx in advance.

in the exaust or air filter because ive kept the stocker on it and i dont see how it can get in there.

Thats what you get for buying that Jap rubbish, I suggest you sell it and go get yourself a hand built quality Chinese Atomik

The ignition covers don't seal water tight against the engine case so muddy water and crap can easily get into the electrics and cause corrosion or even ignition failure .

Moisture and dirt gets into the ignition and inside of the flywheel and can mess with the timing - then when you stop the bike and let it sit for a while the heat of the engine evaporates the water and the engine runs good again .

What people should do on ANY bike is sand the ignition cover to case mating surface with wet/dry sand paper on a dead flat surface to make sure that the cover sits as flat as possible on the engine cases . Then make sure the cover is clean and dry and either smear a film of silicon sealant onto the gasket surface or even make a gasket out of breakfast cereal pack and coat it by smearing silicon on it . Then smear a bit of oil on the engine case mating surface to stop the silicon on the gasket or flywheel cover from sticking to it and put the ignition cover back on with the screws loose to leave a very slight gap . Then allow the silicon sealant to dry thoroughly before tightening the screws up . You want the silicone or coated gasket to stick to only one of the surfaces - either the engine cases OR the flywheel cover - but not to both so that it doesn't stuff up if you have to take the cover off .

Doing that keeps all water and dirt out and the flywheel and electrics stay clean . You can go one step further and fit rubber grommets with rubber fuel hose in the breather holes of ignition covers and route the hoses underneath and over the bash plate pointing to the rear to further keep dust and water out . I used to do it with XR75's to keep the points dry and waterproof . It saved me from a lot of unnecessary headaches and messing around with ignition problems and made riding in the wet a breeze . Inside the cover was always as clean as a whistle and I never ever had any problems riding thru water .

Thats what you get for buying that Jap rubbish, I suggest you sell it and go get yourself a hand built quality Chinese Atomik

Pfft, go shave ya balls buddy.

The ignition covers don't seal water tight against the engine case so muddy water and crap can easily get into the electrics and cause corrosion or even ignition failure .

Moisture and dirt gets into the ignition and inside of the flywheel and can mess with the timing - then when you stop the bike and let it sit for a while the heat of the engine evaporates the water and the engine runs good again .

What people should do on ANY bike is sand the ignition cover to case mating surface with wet/dry sand paper on a dead flat surface to make sure that the cover sits as flat as possible on the engine cases . Then make sure the cover is clean and dry and either smear a film of silicon sealant onto the gasket surface or even make a gasket out of breakfast cereal pack and coat it by smearing silicon on it . Then smear a bit of oil on the engine case mating surface to stop the silicon on the gasket or flywheel cover from sticking to it and put the ignition cover back on with the screws loose to leave a very slight gap . Then allow the silicon sealant to dry thoroughly before tightening the screws up . You want the silicone or coated gasket to stick to only one of the surfaces - either the engine cases OR the flywheel cover - but not to both so that it doesn't stuff up if you have to take the cover off .

Doing that keeps all water and dirt out and the flywheel and electrics stay clean . You can go one step further and fit rubber grommets with rubber fuel hose in the breather holes of ignition covers and route the hoses underneath and over the bash plate pointing to the rear to further keep dust and water out . I used to do it with XR75's to keep the points dry and waterproof . It saved me from a lot of unnecessary headaches and messing around with ignition problems and made riding in the wet a breeze . Inside the cover was always as clean as a whistle and I never ever had any problems riding thru water .

Thanx heaps for this i really appreciate your help and will try this and see if it fixes the prob.

how come ya still a chickless ming?

All this from someone who is too young to even have hair on his balls. I know this because if you were older, you would have noticed the sarcasm in my first post numb nuts!!

Last edited:
All this from someone who is two young to even have hair on his balls. I know this because if you were older, you would have noticed the sarcasm in my first post numb nuts!!

LOL!!:rolleyes: TOO young, lol, sorry but mi sister is like an a+ student and i get so used to her correcting mi spelling, lol.

LOL!!:rolleyes: TOO young, lol, sorry but mi sister is like an a+ student and i get so used to her correcting mi spelling, lol.

I know, I stuffed up that one, and trust you to find it pascal..lol good onya mate...lol

hi guys just a question for you.

When i ride in the mud on my crf 50 it runs good for a while and when it gets real muddy i can only rev it until about quarter throtle then it bogs out or backfires and if i hold the throttle back it will conk out, but if i release it it goes back to idle.

then if i leave it for an hour and go for a ride not in the mud its fine?

thanx in advance.

So have you pin pointed what was causing your problem yet ?? :)

Latest posts

Back