Decisions decisions....

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly1300

Reaction score
hey all as title suggests, i have a just run in yx160 (thanks DHZ ken!)

and im a little stumped to which carburettor i should run.
ive had a good read thru miniriders and planetminis but cant really get a definitive answer.

my old 160 (with 155zhead) was running a 26mm MOLKT, which was a little poppy and farty until bike was warm, then run great, a little rich but great. But had to turn fuel tap off everytime i stopped riding or else fuel bowl would fill up and fuel would soak the unifilter and piss out everywhere.. heaps off fun starting up again with your typical flame-thru-the-carb-unless-im-exactly-TDC-160 engine. got flame? :)
messed about with this carby heaps, different jets, adjusted and played with float etc... done all that but this is as good as this particular carby is gonna get. i can deal with it.

ive run the new motor in with the MOLKT, but the package i got from Ken had a Fakuni 30mm which looks nothing like the pic of the fake mikuni 30mm in thump140's thread showing all the different types of carb and adjustment positions.

my new carb looks like this
http://www.miniriders.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=3268&stc=1&d=1257745039

So my question to the gurus is..
Stock yx160 with big pipe.

Should i stick with the 26mmMOLKT or whack on the 30mmMikuni?

As its on a road-going bike outright power isnt the issue, ease of starting (hot & cold) and general smooth idle and cruising speed is of more concern

which way do i go?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• mikuni30_1.jpg
    mikuni30_1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 22
nah man try to get the molkt working, the fakuni is a complete POS, your one looks different to thumps because his is almost as old as him.
btw the fakuni is really a 25-26mm

hmmm, thought it was pretty evident through out the forum which carby everyone prefers.

26 or 28mm OKO... the 2 you listed above are wat most ppl call rubbish.

but if your just after something that works then im going with the opposite of DVDrips suggestion(sorry mate), purely because there have been more issues reported with the molkt then the mikuni and youve also outlined one of the major problems that everyone seems to have with there molkt carb
and also im guessing thats the reason that KEN now included the mikuni instead of the molkt..

thanks for quick replies guys. much appreciated.

yeah the OKO came up every time i did a search and had a read... they do sound the business but i dont really wanna buy another carb when i have 2 here already.

might give the Fakuni a go, wont take long to change over.
least it wont leak fuel if i dont turn the tap off. doesnt matter if its a little down on power.

will swap over and post results. or go hunt e-gay for a flatside.

i'd go with an OKO for ease of service, ease of tuning, performance for dollar spent, and longevity.
I went through a stage of doing in one mikuni after another, all with the same reason, all of them "unfixable", but they were cheap... then went OKO, would never buy another type of carby now.
If you want straight plug and play with no real difficulty in tuning, go with a 26mm.
If you want outright performance, go the 28mm but slightly harder to tune, and going by a few discussions with Sean, they can run massively different jet settings for bikes with similar set-ups, so that can be time consuming and headachy to tune right... once you do, they fly, but yeah, i'd go with the OKO 26mm flatslide. Instant win.

and if you sold the other carbs for like $50 each it almost pays for the oko

Latest posts

Back