dirtmax yx 160 engine

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playajai

Reaction score
hi ive recently picked up a dirtmax yx 160 engine

i got a few questions to ask

1 wat r peoples reviews with the engine like wat goes on them and r the a
good engine

2 any way of making the comprisson easier to kick

3 the clutch is quiet hard to pull in is it because i cut it down to fit in frame or because im useing a 140cc clutch cable

4 wat carby and size is perfect for the engine at the moment 24mm mikuni carby

5 wat mods can be done to this engine

any help and links appreciated thanks

I can only help with some..

The clutch maybe hard to pull in now, but one you have had the bike running you should be sweet..

OKO 26mm carby should be awesome on the 160.. Or maybe a 28mm if you want...

With the compression, I am not sure if this motor can have the decomp put on it..

But once you learn to kick it right (at top dead centre) it will be a piece of piss.

Hope this helps.. Ty.

2. Learn to kick start the bike. (no im not being smart) there are a few vids and instructions on the forums here, have a look. There are also decomp cams out there too.
3. Ive got a hydraulic clutch for sale if you interested, 35 plus post.
4,5. search the forums, it will help you and us.

hi ive recently picked up a dirtmax yx 160 engine

i got a few questions to ask

1 wat r peoples reviews with the engine like wat goes on them and r the a
good engine

2 any way of making the comprisson easier to kick

3 the clutch is quiet hard to pull in is it because i cut it down to fit in frame or because im useing a 140cc clutch cable

4 wat carby and size is perfect for the engine at the moment 24mm mikuni carby

5 wat mods can be done to this engine

any help and links appreciated thanks

Have you tried lubricating the cable?
I had the same problem with ,y pitpro, so make sure u put some lubricant on the cable (chain lub works well) :deadhorse:

these engines are pretty good with the normal faults..
oil slingers break
gears go MIA
cases crack on the earlier ones
clutch problems when raped

not all engines have these issues but one of the above is usually hard to avoid unless counter measures are taken..

all start in any gear cables are the same so a 140 cable means nothing..

the clutch would be harder to pull if you have modded the arm on the cover.. lube the cable and try different perch/lever setups. some have a different pull ratio.

these heads can have the yx decomp cam kit installed which will fix the hard to kick issue.

best mods for them are a V2 head with the tb decomp option (with tb piston), 26 or 28mm oko carb and big bore exhaust.

other mods are everywhere, look on tboltusa, dhz, classichondas, ahpminis, akunar etc.

another thing to look at is the type of ignition fitted on the engine, if it has an IRK then retard the pickup senor (also helps with kick back)
but most people get a lifan 150 ORK machined up to fit.. not a big deal, just the back plate needs 3mm machined of it.

Have you tried lubricating the cable?
I had the same problem with ,y pitpro, so make sure u put some lubricant on the cable (chain lub works well) :deadhorse:

Yeah make sure you lube both throttle and clutch cables, because:

1. You will get smoother and easier usage.
2. If you dont lube them up, the cable will wear the inside of the cable and make a little groove. Meaning this will cause even mor friction than before.

This is why 1/4 turn throttles are a good idea, because they use a circular disc, instead of a normal throttle where more friction is made.

The more ofter you lubricate the longer your cables will last. :)

Cheers

Latest posts

Back