DNM forks and mods

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys... I have just got my set of DNM Hornets from Ching Chong Land!
My headstem bolt is too short too... instead of doing the "nut cut", is it possible to get the headstem bolt pressed out of the original triple clamps and pressed into the new ones?

If you'se recon it cant or shouldnt be done I'll get to cutting up my nut...

Also, brake adapter or new brakes, and shave a few mm off the spacer on the non-disc side of the wheel.
Is that all I need to think about?

Cheers!

you can press the old stem bolt in providing it is the same diameter.

as for the brakes, ya just gotta do wat ever it takes to make it work and be 100% safe..

Hey man, I found it a mad mission to find a stem bolt that fitted the current clamps. I bought one from DHZ and tried a few others all to no avail.

In the end I found it was easiest to get the current stem bolt and lengthen it by insterting an inner cylinder and welding. This piccy demonstrates it:

StemExtension.jpg

PLEASE NOTE THOUGH THAT IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO KEEP THE STEM PERFECTLY ALIGNED WHEN EXTENDED. OTHERWISE IT WILL SKEW THE TOP CLAMP RELATIVE TO THE BOTTOM AND MESS WITH YOUR FORK COMPRESSION AND REBOUND.

Sorry bout the caps lol.

Another way you could go about it is by find another set of 48/48 clamps that have a stem bolt that will fit your bike.

And a last note, make sure you cut your wheel spaces to the right length again to keep the forks from being unaligned.

Kudos,
Carlton

Last edited:
OK, have limited tools here.... Might just try the Nut Cut...
What did you guys use to chop it down? A Grinder? A hack saw? A lathe?
Same goes for the spacer to... dont know how to approach this... sounds like I gotta get it right first time!

Thanks

OK, got my "Nut Cut" and Spacer lathed down at the local engineering place for $5....
Got it all together good, but also got my GPX brakes from DHZ and they look kinda strange on the bike..
Like they are hanging too low....see pic
Also, the disc is up so close to the caliper that the disc bolt heads just hitting the caliper, and the wheel wont spin...
Anyone got any suggestions?

CALIPER.jpg

how much of the brake pads are touching the disc? and take your wheel off and grind down the heads of the bolts flush with the disc (i kept the disc bolted in place and just lightly touched them up)

OK, so this is a normal problem?

Bolt heads are not actually hitting the pads... just clipping part of the caliper... just near where it bolts on to the fork leg....

Looks like this from the top if you can make it out...

caliper2.jpg

I filed some of the caliper down to give it some clearance, but was taking too long, so I just took it for a blast around the block as it was turning under a bit of force..... figured the steel bolt head is tougher than the alloy and would carve its own path...
Seems to be spinning freely now..

Do you recon the caliper is sitting really low? or am I just being fussy?

Carls or Timmeh.. did you get this same issue?

yeah the bolt issue is common when building bikes,
and yeah the thing to be worried about is how much of the pads are being used, it looks ok.. but should be closer to the fork leg using more of the pad / covering more disc

OK, yeah, looks like its only hitting about half of the pads... my current disc is 190mm... was thinking I could chuck on a 200mm one? Would that be better?

190mm is the one you need, You need to get a longer wheel spacer for the disc side to stop the rubbing and shorten the other one by the desired amount...

Yeah, Ill look into getting new spacers... should be easy enough...

As for the disc, These GPX brakes seem to be made for a 210mm disc..
At least thats what they give you when you buy the GPX Forks from DHZ with the brake kit included...

Hey Man, just measured mine and I am definitely running 190mm discs which are running perfect:
I can measure the length of my spacers if you require man!

Also the caliper does sit pretty low on mine too, bit annoying on tracks with big ruts and bstructing rocks, but otherwise fine on normal tracks

CRF70155z.jpg

OK, cool... This is what my pads are lookin like... only using half of them... I recon I could easily get a 200mm or 210mm disc setup... for now I might just leave them and see how they perform on the track...
Pads.jpg

Cheers for everyones help! Stoked the bike is ready for another round!

new-shock.jpg

Looking great mate, Id be ditching the stand though.

No good will come with that hanging off the side.

Flippin sweet as bro!!!!

little bit to much rake with the rear shock?

But yeah that thing is nice as now man!!!!

Oh and you have your own website lols

Whats the thoughts with the stand? They can flop down while riding or landing something like that? It is practical at least!!

Just overlayed an old photo on the new one and the rake looks pretty much the same now....
Why you laughin that I have my own website? i can host my own pics easy? Im a web designer, I gotta have my own website ha ha

Latest posts

Back