DNM forks and mods

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeeh

Go Go Gadget Moderator
Supporter
Reaction score
Morning peoples, just stated fitting up my new DNM forks last night, however (As carlts warned me) i have hit a couple of potholes. The triple clamp stem is not long enough, this i think i can resolve by chopping up the nut that sits on top of the top bearing.
Photo0003.jpg (the red bits are gonna be removed)

+ i also found that my brakes aren't gonna fit, the current bolt holes are 46mm apart and the new legs are 52mm apart, any ideas on how to mod these to fit or should i just look at buying a new set of brakes for the front end. Any ideas are greatly apprieciated. THX

your on it
nut cut will work

brakes you could make a adapter plate ?

Hey dudes,
If your happy with your current brakes then by all means build up a plate.
But if your really wnatig some that perform and are a straight fit I highly recommend the GPX fronts! best chinese brakes if used to date!

frontbrakes.jpg

Heres my engineering marvel!
Used the bracket that came with the brakes (GPX/pitster) and added an extension on to it.

Hey dudes,
If your happy with your current brakes then by all means build up a plate.
But if your really wnatig some that perform and are a straight fit I highly recommend the GPX fronts! best chinese brakes if used to date!

Who sells GPX brake setups?

I'll have to check the mounting setup I have when I get home as I'm going to motard mine in the next couple weeks and could really use the best setup available.. I'm already using the 210mm discs and the current setup does have a braided line so it's quite nice but nothing is better than super powerful brakes.

something like this would be nice, (so would the 3 pots) but i don't think it's gonna happen

Don't forget it's about quality not quantity.. If you have more surface area being covered with 2 then it will be better than 3. When I bought a ZRX1200 back in '08 it had 6 piston callipers and I thought that thing would pull up on a dime but it wasn't amazing braking and straight after that I bought the Speed Triple which had the Brembo 4 pistons and man it was like 3x the braking power because the size of the pistons were massive too.

Last edited:
Hey Carlts, did they fit straight on yours? Thinking this might be easier + i get the 2 pot brakes rather than single. Also what size disc do you reckon i'll need? My stocks about 190mm

OK forks are fitted. Sorry for the double question Carlts, sometimes my brain just swtiches off and i can't reed proply an stuff.....Sooo got a new set on GPX brakes coming from DHZ, Now what i need to know is.... when i was re-filling the the new forks i decided i would open one up from the bottom of the leg, and when doing this i decided it would be wise to first undo the socket on the bottom (the one with the compression screw) and guess what it didn't help me remove it, but anyway now i want to do the socket back up but it just free-spins, and i don't want to clamp the inside rod as I think i will damage it, anyone got any ideas on how i tighten it back up? or does it really matter if it's a bit loose? (i assume yes :))

Hey dude,
just to answer your earlier question, the gpx's on the DNM's suit the 190mm disc setup, so you'll be right there :D

As for tightening the socket, I'll have a look into it for ya mate, I did pull apart my forks, but only by undoing them from the top as per this piccy:

ForksSprings.jpg

regards,
Carlton

Yea, i did the top part when filling them, was easy enough. But found one was leaking from the bottom of the leg (not the seal, as i first thought) so i removed the bottom of the leg to see if there was a seal or something that was split? Turns out there isn't any seal i could see, so, I don't think they were tightened enough cause after putting it back together it no longer leaks :) but this socket thing worries me :( Cheers mate. Ummmm just noticed the plastic bit on the bottom of the 2 springs... shouldn't that be inbetween the 2? it was on both of mine??

Yeah sorry the piccy is a bit misleading lol, I put it back in between the two springs when assembling lol

Allright, got the socket sorted by using the rattle gun :) all fixed. However now ihave an issue wher the damn forks seem to stick when pushed down (once installed on the bike) I remember you saying something about new wheel spacers? what size and how much did you have to take off, or add? i was thinking i might shave down the non-disc side(as the brake looks like it'll sit fine where it is), what ya think?

measure the centre to centre of the forks at the top of the triples, the do the same down the bottom. Should be the same, sounds like they are not.

yeah I cut the non-disc side spacer down and it did the job nicely.

Also one other major pointer that may be affecting it is if you lengthened the stem bolt and caused it to be slightly skewed then the top and bottom clamp wont match up even by small amount which will cause the forks to be stiff and/or lock up ...eeek

but its most likely the spacer, was for me :D

Nah, didn't lengthen the stem bolt, just cut down the existing nut that sat at the top of the neck (see pg1). worked a treat :) Any idea on the size of the spacer? I could do what rumble said but i don't own any veniers to measure with... Might try and wing it again, its worked well so far ;)

yer, spacers just have to be cut very flat and precisely parallel. Mine only took like 2mm off, just have assemble the front wheel without the spacer and see what the gap is, measure it if possible and then just get the spacer lathed down.

Latest posts

Back