dnm shock broke at base of shaft ?????

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick 50

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if any one has ever seen one of these DNM MT RC rear shock brake at the base of the shaft ,
i came in from a ride the other day and thought the back end was a bit springy like ,
to my amazement i found that the dnm shock had broken at the base of the shaft ,
has this happened to any one else ,
going by the dnm website it is ment to be gaurenteed for twelve months against breakage or faulty workmanship ,
DSCF4891.jpg

Last edited:
Naa mate heard of rebound going after a freestyle thrashing or flatland but never snapping at the base :eek:

They should sort a new one .... if it's on an mso I doubt you'll have much trouble getting a replacement

but if you scored it on ebay you might be in trouble.

dam
be warned there are fakes out the and yes i have seen this before but not on a dnm but as i said a fake
they should replace that hey i know the newer ones have changes the setup a bit where that little clicky thing is they made it thicker i think from memory
but they should replace that for ya

hell i cained the one in the vert heaps and it held up

seen that with almost everything..elka, ishock, works....are you sure your shock was not too tight in the eyelets?? If you tight up the screw too much it can´t tun on an impact and it breaks everything...nothing to do with the brand !

Yes , the bolts should just be nipped up so that they float like pins ! The shock bushes have to be able to rotate freely on the bolt shanks .... I actually bought bolts with long shanks that go right thru the shock mounts so that the nuts jam on the end of the shank ...... that way you can do them up tight WITHOUT crushing the mount lugs in on the shock bushes which puts rotational stress on the shock shaft and can easily snap it ...... just as mountain is saying . Also the swingarm flexes and twists so the bushes need some side play to prevent side loading the shaft and wearing the seals and guts of the shock out prematurely .....

Another factor that could cause the shafts to snap is using too much compression damping which puts wayyyy too much load on the shaft ........ if you have to jack the compression damping up high , then you really need a heavier spring ........

Brian at Maylands stated that DNM's were snapping shafts and they also said it on Planet Minis ...... I just bought an MT-RC DNM ..... but it's a later model than the broken shock shown in this thread ....... THANK GOD ..... LOL ......

Thanks for the reply,s
the shock was not too tight in the swingarm or the frame , and the shock was set to the softest and fastest position settings ,
the day before the shock broke i had my bike apart and lubed all points ,
DNM wont reply to my emails and neither will the person i originally purchased the shock from either ,
Anyone got any ideas where i could get spare parts from as i could repair it if i had a new shaft and inner compression rod ,
thanks again , Rick

Yes , the bolts should just be nipped up so that they float like pins ! The shock bushes have to be able to rotate freely on the bolt shanks .... I actually bought bolts with long shanks that go right thru the shock mounts so that the nuts jam on the end of the shank ...... that way you can do them up tight WITHOUT crushing the mount lugs in on the shock bushes which puts rotational stress on the shock shaft and can easily snap it ...... just as mountain is saying . Also the swingarm flexes and twists so the bushes need some side play to prevent side loading the shaft and wearing the seals and guts of the shock out prematurely .....

Another factor that could cause the shafts to snap is using too much compression damping which puts wayyyy too much load on the shaft ........ if you have to jack the compression damping up high , then you really need a heavier spring ........

Brian at Maylands stated that DNM's were snapping shafts and they also said it on Planet Minis ...... I just bought an MT-RC DNM ..... but it's a later model than the broken shock shown in this thread ....... THANK GOD ..... LOL ......

Hey Cactus,

just wondering how you can tell if it is the later model MT-RC compared to the one pictured

Cheers

Hey Mountain ,
Yes , i contacted him to via email and have had no responce as well ,
and ive searched google and stuff tryin to get parts to repair it and ive had no luck there either ,
my bad luck is struck upon me again too ,
Just looked at my new wheels from pimpet and have found that the front rim is caved in AGAIN ,2nd ride , this is the second rim from them that has done that ,
dang it ,

is a billet hub wheel? if so the hoops on them are made from soft alloy and bend insane, every hard impact will induce a big flatspot

dead right there tubes ,
it is a billet hub rim , nine months with the wheels that came with my pitpro 140 i never buckled a rim , now with these rims i cant even go for a ride without buckling them ,

well so you have to contact DNM directly about warranty issue [email protected]

and about the rim...well chinese rims are not exactly exxellrims...get one from them and you will be set and ask this clowns at pimpit for a refund otherwise you will make a nice writeup about them here on the forum;) :p !!

Last edited:
yer i contacted them as well via email and even sent them the same pic and it has been 3 days and still no responce .
Linda at mso was very helpful even though i didnt purchase it from them she offered me a shock at a desent price to pull down and fit the new shaft to mine

And Dan at pimpit has been pretty good so far as he replaced the first rim that was damaged dunno about the 2nd one though ,ill send him a pic of damaged 2nd rim and see what he says ay

I think ill just buy a smpro rim or an exxell rim and relace myself

splendid...so you are set...kind of:p
SMPro are nice too and a fair bit cheaper then Exxel;)

yes thats the downfall of the billet hub wheels, the hubs great, but the rim lets them down, if only they used the same as the regular wheels, maybe you could relace the old rim to your billet hub?

Well good news today ,
DNM suspension in Taiwan have gotten back to me in regards to the broken shock ,
They asked me what length mine was and what the spring rate is and they said they would prepare one for me and send it out asap ,
im totally stoked ,
i was very happy with the dnm shock as this was probably one of the best shocks that i have ever had on my pitbike up to date as to the comfort and adjustment controls ,

and yes tubes im hoping to get smpro wheels and relace them to the billet hubs ,
they are pretty easy to do as i have learnt with my youngest sons rm85 i turned his big wheel into a small wheel , and also his pit bike as well as he sorta likes destroying the steel rims and i have replaced his front rim with a takasago rim ,
all good , cheers

I would be very careful of the billet hubs you see on ebay etc
Especially the rear ones, they are very prone to shredding where the 4 bolts connect the spacer to the hub

These bolts will come lose everytime you ride due to the tension of the chain and can cause major problems, even if you loctite the bolts then can shred internally

I have seen 2 sets now with the same problem

The back wheel has been fine ,
not one time have i had a spacer plate or bolts come loose ,
even the rim has held up very well ,
One problem i did have with it though was that it was not made up properly on the cnc machine and that the hub was not true and the disc was not running true ,
quick fix was to cnc the hub and make it true again,
hubs are great its just the front rim i am having problems with as it keeps buckling ,

Latest posts

Back