do CDI's make much of a difference?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gros21

Reaction score
well ive got to order a new cdi do they make much difference 5pin 6pin or even those racing ones. what style should I run I have yx160 with a 184cc bbk s35 cam ect. my stator is a basic 6 wire. what style should I run

cheers

stay away from the cheap performance cdi's, the can fail quickly.
they can also alter the ignition timing a can do some damage to your engine

OORacing have a CDI that has a built in Timing retard, that helps to stop most of the kickback on startup.

or you could use one of the Lifan 150/Daytona cdi's and have adjustable timing
the stator backing plate will need to be machined a little to give the flywheel clearance for the YX engines.

Last edited:
Isn't timing comming from the stator pick up thingo. I don't horribly want need adjustable timing. As for kick back both of my 184's have a decomp. One has a decomp button other has a decomp valve cover.

Classic Honda 50's sell the TB CDI's which look quite good.
Classic Honda 50's Australia

the fixed type stator on the Z155HO/Z160HO aren't adjustable, but the Daytona style one is, it just makes it easy if you want to give it a bit more down low or adjust it for top end.
one guy is selling the adjustable Daytona stator/cdi/loom kit on ebay atm for $65 inc delivery
then it is about $10-$15 to have the backing plate machined to suit your engine.

$_35.JPG

this is the OORacing one with the retard- OORacing - performance monkey bike, pit bike, madass, zoomer, dirt bike components - CDI. 5 pin. A/C. EASY START. Performance Map IV (Powered by CubeCart)
they have a few other decent CDI's there too which might be worth looking into

Last edited:
The TB CDI's do not fit a HO motor. Different connectors. Learnt that the hard way.

They will only work on a YX.

Definitely makes a difference though. I think replacing the coil makes a bigger difference IMO though. But a more expensive option.

yeah, but his is a YX160, so they should sell one that suits.
a coil upgrade is always good.
a Split Fire plug lead also boosts the spark at the plug, even on the standard coils.

are you running an Irridium Plug like a NGK CR7HIX ?

Found a cdi that came with the engine.

Today u have replaced the stator to a lifan charging one (had irk) my engine was a race motor.

I do/will be run that exact irridium spark plug. I've also got a couble if spit fire leads someware. Coil wise I will use what came with it.

Gave the motor a good clean today well the best u can do with out splitting the case.

Now just gotta wait for the bike to put the enine in :)

Post pics mate. Keen to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very early stages of my build. It was a ciniworx engine that I got from here it was a well used pit bike engine. For sale thread should be here as I got it from here.
I actully have 3 builds on the go
1974 z50a (k2u)125cc lifan
1977 z50j1 184cc pitster pro/tb bbk with v2 head
1980 z50jz the ciniworx engine.

All will be regoed

drzs.jpg

And a few pics of a few parts and my 'work area' 3 bike builds on the go the pic cotains almost no rubbish just boxes of parts.

7io6.jpg

7d8jp.jpg

g0ep.jpg

4ime.jpg

And the colour the z50a will be
m69t.jpg

That pic of the engine makes it look like crud. That was just nylon wire wheel action. Please note center case was brand new rest were extremely dirty/old

Here is a pic I took after I just started. You can see new center case and the filty engine I did clean it a touch b4 pic. Also no this is back of the engine and hence was actully the cleanest

b72c.jpg

Since then I prolly have 6hrs of motor cleaning. Including polishing.

Most if that was with power drill or air die grinder with nylon wire brush/polishing wheels.

Yes those above pics are my living room. Yep it's carpet (saves scratching parts on a hard surface) yep it's destroyed it, yep Im single and have no one to tell me better. I do run a compressor in there as well

The tables are 2x 2.44m with the polisher quick clamped to brick ledge down the back it gives me 5m+ work space.

I have another living room that is clean and bike free. Carpet was adverage b4 I started as it leads outside were pool BBQ area is and so much crap gets dragged in. It will be getting tilled late this year. That's why I don't care till then I will continue to work inside work on my mini bikes and watch tv at the same time.

Yeah I used to do that with mtbs and at my last house working inside is ok but being in the shed undistracted, seems to spawn more good ideas for me!!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back