do you need a hole in oil slinger lifan140 any gear?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blingpit

Reaction score
i just put a inner rotor kit and lightened oil slinger in my bike and it runs fine but i just got told that you have to drill a little hole in the oil slinger is that true?

Who said that??.....a hole in your head helps thinking too??
Forget it!!

Man it makes you wonder where they get these ideas from ....... :p Drilling a hole in the bottom of the engine cases increases power for a short while too .....

As the oil drains out there's less drag on the crank and gears so your engine will peak rev like a demon ...... and THEN ....... as if by magic ...... the bike will suddenly slow down as if the brakes are being automatically applied by your guardian angel ......

If you look at the original steel slinger that you have removed from the bike you will see a very small hole that sprays the main crank bearing on the right hand side of the engine. Its up to you if you want to keep lubrication up to the that bearing or not. It will still get splash fed but its there for a reason...........

If you look at the original steel slinger that you have removed from the bike you will see a very small hole that sprays the main crank bearing on the right hand side of the engine. Its up to you if you want to keep lubrication up to the that bearing or not. It will still get splash fed but its there for a reason...........

a straight answer for thew guy!

he's asked a question for a reason, obviously because the standard has a hole and the lightened one doesn't.
thought this site was to help people, not put up stupid sarcastic, time wasting crap?

as mcanix said it is up to you. just don't make the hole too big, as you can see in the old one it is tiny and many wouldn't notice it is there.

i just had a look at my steel slinger and i cant see any holes, had a good look and theres no sign of anything???

could you please show a pic show i know where to look, as i said i had a good long look at it and cant find it

sorry bud, i have no pictures of a standard one (or lightened for that matter)
for memory it is on the bulge of it about 1/3 the way between the flange and spline

Honda XR's don't have a hole anywhere in their slingers and they rev reliably to well over 12,000 rpm .....

To boot , the main bearings last for 20 + years ..... Later models don't have slingers at all and they wear out a lot quicker . If you can hardly see a hole then it'd be doing jack sh*t anyway ....... Aside from that the flywheel side bearing doesn't have any oil spray holes directed at it either .... IF a hole was necessary ... then the people who go to great lengths to cast up then machine the lightened slingers would have put one there ........

IF anything .... drilling a hole in the slinger ( the centrifugal oil filter ) would reduce pressure to the crank big end bearing PLUS it would defeat the entire purpose of having it there in the first place ...... the same as drilling a hole in ANY type of filter .... LOL ....

A slinger is designed to centrifuge and trap damaging "heavier than oil" particles out of the oil to protect and greatly prolong the life of the rod big end bearing .......

According to your theory ~ A drilled hole will allow those damaging filtered out particles to be sprayed into the right side main bearing , primary drive gear , and clutch drive gear ....... drastically shortening their life ...... BUT in reality , due to crank speeds , the oil would get flung straight out at 90 degrees to the crank centreline and go nowhere NEAR the right side main bearing ..... just watch a POPE garden tractor sprinkler in action to see how liquid reacts to centrifugal force ....... LOL ...

Incidentally ... Lifan has used a replaceable oil filter in their new 150's because they have totally removed the oil slinger ... They KNOW that removing the slinger also removes filtering protection to the crank ...... so they've put the protection back ........

Go ahead .... drill your hole and start saving for a new crank ..... :p

Last edited:
so the hole in the original LIFAN slinger is for no reason then?. you talk about centrifuging effect, the hole is near the centre therefore having no effect on cleaning properties. if done correctly the pressure loss would be minimal as the hole is tiny.

can't be bothered with this useless debate.
will track down a stocker today and post a pic tonight.

So why even bother talking about a microscopic hole in a STOCK part that the makers of the MODIFIED part (and Honda) have deemed totally unnecessary and deleted from their new part ????

It's strange how high performance mod parts tend to not have a lot of the stock features left on them ..... :rolleyes:

I doubt if the guy is going to buy the precise sized drill bit .... drill the hole in the precise position at the precise angle and take his time to do it carefully so as to not snap the micro drill bit off in his lightened slinger ...... therefore creating a problem that he doesn't have now after actually running the "holeless" alloy slinger problem free (along with thousands of other people) ....

Stock is not always good as you've found out by switching your MOLKT carb with an OKO ...... and you'll find no shortage of threads on forums where heaps of people "claim" that the OKO's are "hard to tune" junk ......

In most cases it's THEY themselves who are the faulty item in the equation .... :p

I have OKO's myself ...... but there's no doubt that the genuine PWK Keihin would most likely perform just as good for a lot longer ....... :)

Last edited:
Well stop talking out of your butt if you don't know the true facts or have pics to prove you're right ......... Honda XR's don't have a hole anywhere in their slingers and they rev reliably to well over 12,000 rpm .....

not to continue with the arguement (or so called:) )
heres the pic i promised yesterday

21042008001.jpg

if you want to get into it its a standard lifan 140 slinger and the hole is .025"

Haha you guys got "DRILLED" with this one,

Sometimes its best to just listen when people have something to say, instead of trying to think you know everything all the time:D

Nice work for sticking to it 1fifty1wheel.

Haha you guys got "DRILLED" with this one,

Sometimes its best to just listen when people have something to say, instead of trying to think you know everything all the time:D

Nice work for sticking to it 1fifty1wheel.

cheers bud,

it's still fact what cactus has written.
i was just amazed that someone had picked up on this tiny hole that many would disclose as non existent.... full credit to blingpit! and that those who haven't feel it justified to take the piss out of him.

yeah dude, crank has snapped right at the beginning of the spline.
not my crank, no one i know. but hate to be the owner!

well another nice example when you got the orgi slinger on a IRK engine:p ....I have seen this a dozen times!!...or maybe it was this tiny hole:eek:

i was told the same thing, when fitting an IRK make sure you fit the lightened slinger or the above will/can result. this was the example given to me.

doesn't look pretty!

Latest posts

Back