E-start going in reverse?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangaBlitzFanga

Reaction score
So I decided to reconnect the e-start on the zongshen 250. The gear that sits between the starter motor, and the gear connected to the flywheel were previously removed when I bought it. The reasoning was "it was causing the starter motor to spin while the engine was running", it was also missing the little pin that goes through the gear, pictured here on the right
$T2eC16ZHJF8FFqI!GtI+BRws7yGmkQ~~60_57.JPG

Thought it would be as simple as putting the starter gear back in, along with a new pin
So I put first gave the starter motor a test run, it works and the starter spins 'clockwise' if looking at it from the cog side (left side of engine). So I installed the starter gear and pin and hit the starter. I can hear things moving but the piston does not

At first I thought maybe the gear on the left side of the above picture could be in backwards? but it looks right because the slightly smaller end is facing outward, and the cog pattern matches the starter gear much better than if it were the other way around. So I assume thats ok

I think there's 2 possibilities, either
1) The starter motor itself is spinning in reverse
2) The gear that sits behind the flywheel has been installed in reverse

I think #2 is the culprit, as it does spin freely one way (can't remember which way) but it would explain why previous owner said it engaged the starter motor when the starter gear was in place. Everything else on this bike that he touched has been **'d in one way or another so it wouldn't surprise me

Can someone confirm which way the starter, and flywheel gear is supposed to turn?
OR is the starter gear supposed to turn when I push the kickstarter? because it does, which doesn't sound right to me

has the wiring been touched? from the starter button to the elec engine inspect if so its a brushless to take the motor off find out what way it is spinning if it is the wrong way then swap the two wires over (it is a brushed yeah? with 2 wires)

Is the one way bearing in the correct way?

has the wiring been touched? from the starter button to the elec engine inspect if so its a brushless to take the motor off find out what way it is spinning if it is the wrong way then swap the two wires over (it is a brushed yeah? with 2 wires)

Yes wiring has been touched months ago
There's only 1 wire going into the starter motor which comes straight off the solenoid.
Would reversing the posts on the solenoid reverse the starter motor?

Is the one way bearing in the correct way?

I don't know. Does the above scenario seem correct?

most of the china starter motors are a 1 wire hookup.
so no chance of wiring it wrong
the starter is earthed to the engine when the 2x bolts are done up holding the starter motor to the case.

i'm guessing the gears have been put on the wrong way around at some stage ?

the starter solenoid has 4 wires running to it, the big main terminal post goes to the + on the battery, the other big terminal post powers the starter motor

then for starting it, it uses the 2 smaller wires, earth on one side, and the power comes from the start button on the other

OK guys disregard this thread, gonna make a new one

Turns out the starter is actually spinning the correct way, as is the sprag clutch, but it's sticky
I took the side cover off and couldn't spin the sprag clutch backwards by hand. So I jammed a rag in and turned the flywheel, this free'd it up. Put side cover back on and engaged starter and it cranks the engine once then stops. Starter keeps going but it doesn't spin the engine, too much resistance
I'd say the sprag clutch is either out of adjustment, or is shagged

The bearing assembly on the back of the flywheel can be a prob, if the bearings are playing up then this will happen, the bearings I speak of are actually more like rounded teeth that engage the flywheel and turn the crank, the 250 can have a drama where the bearing cage becomes damaged and the teeth no longer engage, but in saying that sometimes the teeth get seized on the flywheel and this causes the starter gear to engage as you kick it over.

Latest posts

Back