Ebay / Gumtree bargains !!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pit bike to work on, if I buy a Jap bike it is to ride it...

Most I'm prepared to do on a 2 stroke is piston/rings; even that is a gamble unless you can pull the head before you buy the bike.

Always check the big end rod bearing for play using the rap test ...

I think it would be kool if everyone didn't bid on it so it would go for $1 haha :afro:

Always check the big end rod bearing for play using the rap test ...

Excuse my ignorance here...

Is this with the head off, or something I can do without pulling the head? :)

Feel free to PM a reply so we don't push the thread too far off topic :D

Well it's relevant to buying a used 2 stroke so I'll explain it in the thread for the benefit of others ...

The "rap" test has to be done with the head and cylinder off and the piston off the rod ...

With the crank at TDC and locked there ... you hold the rod near the bottom , push it down onto the crankpin , then rap the rod small end with a block of wood or the wooden handle of a hammer ...

Take note of the sound you hear ... it'll sound solid ... Next pull the rod upwards then repeat the rap on the small end ... IF the sound you heard changes as in a click , knock , or anything different ... then the big end bearing is worn creating excessive up and down rod play ... so a crank rebuild is necessary ...

If you don't fix the crank ... and fit a new piston and rings ... the play will pound the big end roller cage to an early death and that in turn can take out the cases , cylinder , piston , rings , head etc ...

The only other way is to know what sounds a freshly rebuilt engine of the same model makes ... then listen for any extra "rattles" or noises in the engine of the bike you're going to buy ...

i wanna know who the lucky person is who got an elka the other day for 150 :kev:

crf 50 witth a good amount done 88 kit new forks swiger ishock good price! townsvill hope some 1 will get it, would be good to see around the site. link: crf 50

Latest posts

Back