Electric pit bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hman

Reaction score
dont get too excited yet as i just want to know your thoughts.who would be interested in an electric pit bike. 10" wheels, disc brake front. A style swingarm. you could ride them in your yard and no one will complain as they dont make any noise. i dont know a lot of details yet but they will be around $1350.

It seems bloody steep to me...

The problem I foresee is short battery life coupled with a long charge time. You're never going to be able to just top it up and keep riding... If I run a petrol minibike I can add a decent muffler to it and stop the neighbors complaining in any case (for a lot less that $1350!) :)

the thought of electric bikes make me sick, ill take noise, grease, petrol and oil any day over the electric, electric is years away i think

the thought of electric bikes make me sick, ill take noise, grease, petrol and oil any day over the electric, electric is years away i think

im with you. unfortunatly we are in the minority. zero pollution and no noise will be the only way we will be able to ride in the not too distant future. all the big factorys know this and that is why they are all developing electric bikes. i just was wondering what peoples thoughts were?

It seems bloody steep to me...

The problem I foresee is short battery life coupled with a long charge time. You're never going to be able to just top it up and keep riding... If I run a petrol minibike I can add a decent muffler to it and stop the neighbors complaining in any case (for a lot less that $1350!) :)

around 1 hour flat out running, longer just cruising around. i am just putting the feelers out to get an idea of what riders think.

im with you. unfortunatly we are in the minority. zero pollution and no noise will be the only way we will be able to ride in the not too distant future. all the big factorys know this and that is why they are all developing electric bikes. i just was wondering what peoples thoughts were?

I think you'll likely find that the majority of people will think the same thing as Roost... We're all going to hang around and wait for that not to distant future to eventuate. Hopefully when it does the technology will have progressed to a level that will satisfy the most hardcore rider among us :D

I think that we'll all find the "not to distant future" is distant enough not to worry about :cool:

Yeah i see your point, BUT think how many dirt bikes, road bikes, mini bikes etc etc are out there, there is and always will be a demand for petrol engine's, i cant see em fading away to quick

around 1 hour flat out running, longer just cruising around. i am just putting the feelers out to get an idea of what riders think.

Charge time? This is the main killer for electric bikes... You can overcome it with a second battery, but that'll only get me another hour and I'm guessing the first battery will not have charged in that time!

Getting second batteries also pushes the cost up and, as much as the people selling them will tell you otherwise, you will eventually need to replace that battery.

Charge time? This is the main killer for electric bikes... You can overcome it with a second battery, but that'll only get me another hour and I'm guessing the first battery will not have charged in that time!

Getting second batteries also pushes the cost up and, as much as the people selling them will tell you otherwise, you will eventually need to replace that battery.

as i said at the start, i dont have full details yet. these will be a fun bike and not a race bike. they will be good for back yards and light training. i am not having a go at you krazed but i dont know anybody that can ride for 1 hour flat out. if they can they would be a pro racer and win everything.

I think you'll likely find that the majority of people will think the same thing as Roost... We're all going to hang around and wait for that not to distant future to eventuate. Hopefully when it does the technology will have progressed to a level that will satisfy the most hardcore rider among us :D

I think that we'll all find the "not to distant future" is distant enough not to worry about :cool:

lets all hope so. the problem i see up here in sunny south east qld is ALL the tracks being closed down because of noise. i am not saying it will happen next week or even in the next 5 years, but once one comes out and it persieved by the govt to be the way to go thats what will happen.

it's here already they are looking at having an electric bike class in the next year or so here and they already do in eu the zero bikes are coming in leaps and bounds and so is the battery technology

i'll wait untill we perfect the use of dark matter before i switch then you only have to charge every 10 years or so

p.s there is no way you will get an hour out of a chinese battery he he he

as i said at the start, i dont have full details yet. these will be a fun bike and not a race bike. they will be good for back yards and light training. i am not having a go at you krazed but i dont know anybody that can ride for 1 hour flat out. if they can they would be a pro racer and win everything.

SWEET!

I can ride for hours, who wants to sponsor me? I'm serious, I've ridden enduro's growing up... Anyone in an enduro that can't ride flat out for an hour just doesn't cut it. Aside from that, trail riders certainly spend more than an hour putting around in the bush ;)

I'm not having a go at you either, but I want a bike that I can ride all day, whether it's a pit bike, a full size dirt bike or a road bike. I appreciate that electric bikes have their place, I'm just extremely dubious about a cheap China model.

I wouldn't even buy a ZeroX as the battery life (while good) is still no way near close to what I want/need and due to the nature of the beast they cost US$10k + import.

I certainly keep up to date with the progression of electric bikes but the chances of me owning one in the next 10-15 years is pretty close to zero (not a ZeroX :p).

it's here already they are looking at having an electric bike class in the next year or so here and they already do in eu the zero bikes are coming in leaps and bounds and so is the battery technology

It's going to have to keep leaping and bounding... One race, battery swap, repeat is not what I want a bike for ;)

That said, the racing is there to push the development forward :)

Last edited:
Zero MX held a 24 hour enduro race with their bikes and I think rotating between 3 batteries kept them going non stop for the whole time. 24 hours of electicross: Zero Motorcycles - 24 Hours of Electricross

KTM have developed an electric bike called the Freeride and they are doing a lot of R+D to improve on it.

Theres no doubt they will be the future but whether that will be in my lifetime or not is another story. The torque these electric motors can produce is huge and coupled with instant power and no engine braking could make for some very fun riding. The other bonus would be that you can ride them anywhere at anytime (so backyard tracks all round and steet riding everywhere :D) but im sure once they get popular new laws would be introduced just to spoil it all.

So they have there good points but still a few bad ones too with the battery life being at the top of the list especially a cheap Chinese one..

SWEET!

I can ride for hours, who wants to sponsor me? I'm serious, I've ridden enduro's growing up... Anyone in an enduro that can't ride flat out for an hour just doesn't cut it. Aside from that, trail riders certainly spend more than an hour putting around in the bush ;)

I'm not having a go at you either, but I want a bike that I can ride all day, whether it's a pit bike, a full size dirt bike or a road bike. I appreciate that electric bikes have their place, I'm just extremely dubious about a cheap China model.

I wouldn't even buy a ZeroX as the battery life (while good) is still no way near close to what I want/need and due to the nature of the beast they cost US$10k + import.

I certainly keep up to date with the progression of electric bikes but the chances of me owning one in the next 10-15 years is pretty close to zero (not a ZeroX :p).

It's going to have to keep leaping and bounding... One race, battery swap, repeat is not what I want a bike for ;)

That said, the racing is there to push the development forward :)

i know where you are coming from. i dont want to ride one all the time either. they would be good for a bit of fun and not making any noise, you could almost ride it anywhere. top enduro racers dont ride flat out for a full hour. david knight might be able to do it. that is not the point of this anyway. the average rider would get about two hours riding in their own backyard without pissing anyone off, sure it may not be as quick as a 160 but remember this sport started from riding slow 50cc hondas for fun. i would hate to ride more than an hour non stop as it cuts way too much into very important time with a certain mr jack daniels and his good friend coka cola:)

Just build a hybrid, you get the noise of a petrol engine and the great torque and response of an electric engine. Faster than everyone!

Latest posts

Back