Electric start problem!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustle

Reaction score
Hi guys. Well, my electric start has allways worked no problems. I left the bike for about 3 weeks as it has been terrible weather here and last weekend, it was a little sunny so i got it out and took it to the field.
Now i never start it with electric start if its been standing for a few weeks. So i kicked it over and left it running to warm up for a little while. After i rode it for a couple hours. I turn it off and tried using the electric start.
All i got was the starter motor turning over. You know like the noise you get off the engine ticking over but before it starts. The engine doesn't start using it. It just constantly does that turning over noise until the battery dies. Its like it has no fuel in it. It starts fine using kick start.

I was just wondering if you knew of any problems like this and any ways it can be resolved as theres no point of me having a starter motor and all those wires adding weight to my bike if they don't work?

Also, how long are batteries meant to last when they are fully charged as mine only seems to be able to start my bike twice before its flat.

Also, how hard is it to remove an old battery and fit a new one?

Cheers guys.

its hard to say if u are hearing the starter motor turn over or if the motor is turning with the starter motor but theres a broken link between the two take the left motor case cover off and sus things out it could possable be the battery doesnt have enough grunt to turn the motor over at a fast enough pace to start as for the battery depends what bike u have but most will need either one or all the following parts removed seat,fuel tank,side guards,rear guard

like gazza said i reckon the battery aint got anuth juice to spin the moter over quik anuth , id let it charg overnight batterys go really dead if they dont get used often ,also i think the battery moters use a differnt cdi incorporating the battery for spark so whith a not full battery your turning the motor over and trying to produce spark at the same time

electric start to me is insignificant, ways the bike down, and theres already a starting method availble.

i removed all my unnesary electrics a few days after i bought my bike, and just removed the starter motor and chain arround my magneto.

I need a wall charger for my battery.
I can't leave my bike on over night.

How do i charge it up? And do i have to remove the battery to charge it at a wall socket? Is it hard?

it would be a good idea to take the positive of so there is not interferance between the bike and the batter charger, negative is just an earth so you dont have to worry about it

i reckon getting ride of it... you will still have the kick start, and if u can be bothered to push u can clutch start it

You dont have to take anywires off ... and dont charge it with a normal car charger you'll stuff the battery... Get a hydrometer and check the gravity of the cells first if they are any different to the next cell you need to equalize the battery... (i'll get into that if i need to tell ya)

First thing tho.. give this a go, Get a multimeter and put it on the battery and try and start the bike, if the voltage drops off back past 10, you'r battery needs to be equalized or go get a new battery.

As for charging battery's no more than 20% of its capacty per hr of charge or you'll warp the plates..

Get rid of it all.....if you can't kick it you shouldn't ride it .

Far too much wieght for a " poofter button "

Get rid of it all.....if you can't kick it you shouldn't ride it .

Far too much wieght for a " poofter button "
funny u say that if u look on any motor bike site with alot of bush riders you will see everyone loves the magic button and cant live without it i think u need to come out of the closet ;)

funny u say that if u look on any motor bike site with alot of bush riders you will see everyone loves the magic button and cant live without it i think u need to come out of the closet ;)

Yeah well I know fat old kooks trail riding on thier ktm 520's love em gazza....hell I'd get the shits with kickin over one of those suckers all day.
But we are talkin about pit bikes here and in my opinion the weight of an electric start is ridiculous and WILL slow you down ....epecially if you are 6.2 and 85kgs like me .

It wasn't meant as an insult ....it's simply a humourous term for an electric start I've heard before ......same as
if you can't start it you shouldn't ride it .

But yeah if it's got a decomp lever ....it's warranted

If you are on a pitbike your case seems less convincing

JMO mate

i agree. for the engine size and whole bike mass it is ridicorus

when u have been riding for years and years u come to appreciate ANY motor with electric start and it would only add 2kgs more if that its not like leaving this on is going to cause any problems i am no maths wizz but the weight of a starter motor and battery is only 2-4% of the bikes weight? that is sweet f... all IMO

Im with dreadful.. why would you want to have a piece of shit thats just weighing it down for no good reason.. a motor thats in good condition should take a maxium of two kicks (when its cold) The lighter the bike the better. people who use the electric start are just lazy.. most of the good pit bikes dont even have an electric start.

For a hack bike i rekon electric start would be ideal... but a race breed pitbike has to be kickstart and you can't have a stand either! :D

If the bikes got a stand its alowed to have electric start IMO.

Magic button for big bikes only

Electric start is only worth it on large bike like KTM450, 525 WR250, 450
no need for decomp on a 125cc 4T

i would say the weight difference would be the difference between taking a crap before going for a ride or after going for a ride. hahaha if the weight botheres you, go empty yourself and its counted out. (sorry for being so crude.)

Cheers, Tony.

i reckon thats a lie man, some people kick the bike over slowly, some kick it hard and fast. i dont see how it could be bad for the bike but if i had electric start i would also rip it out, no need for it (although it would be useful if you get stuck on a massive hill cause you stalled it and fear that lifting one foot will put you on your ass and slide 200 meters down a hill face, then yes it would be useful ahha) that happened to me the other day, sketchy as fuk.

Latest posts

Back