Engine knocking after valve check

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stipe

Reaction score
hey there guys, so after running in my bike ( atomik nitrous 140) i decided to give the valves a check. So after adjusting them to .003 and .004 i now have a loud knock. Here is a video, what do you think is up?

[video=youtube;f2ta2pFrWUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ta2pFrWUc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the engine at TDC on the compression stroke when you adjusted the valve/rocker clearance's ?
Was the timing mark on the cam gear and the marking in the head at 9 o'clock lined up, and at the same time the flywheels' T marking was at 12 o'clock
After adjusting them, did you turn the engine over a couple of revolution's by hand to check the valve's weren't touching the piston ?

Yeah made sure it was at tdc and rechecked the clearances etc but still knocking. I also noticed with the bottom valve cover off a fair but of oil was dripping out. Is this normal?

You set them to .003" and .004" didn't you ? Not .003mm and .004mm ?
Metric would be .075mm for the inlet and .1mm on the exhaust

Yeah oil leaking is normal with the cover off.
You should be able to hear some ticking at the rockers/valve's, it's when it get's quiet that the clearance's are too tight.

You could try shining a bright led torch in through the spark plug hole and just check for any marking's on the top of the piston

Yeah set them to the .003 and .004 but still making the ticking sounds. so im just going to assume that it's normal. I'll have a look at the head when i get the chance.

Sounds like adjusted them right to me man. Does it have more compression when kicking it over ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

heaps. was struggling to hand crank it.

Latest posts

Back