engine oil from exhaust valve

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hock

Reaction score
hey,

when taking the exhaust valve cover off, is it normal for quite alot of oil to be sitting in the valve cover?

thanks heaps!

Yes this is how the valve stems, Rocker gear & cam is lubricated, Very unlikely that the drain holes for the oil to go back down to the bottom end are blocked

Much better than no oil in there!!!

What type of motor & how much is quite alot, Any pics?

stock motor for dhz dpo 160, might be a 155z? just the stock one.

and na sorry no pics but a little bit of oil, not heaps life enough to fill half the exhaust cover thingo

ahh sweet. also when doing valve clearences. is tdc when you turn the flywheel and the valves do not move up and down. or is tdc when you are twisting the flywheel back and forth and the valves are moving up and down.

i set my valves when the valves are not moving up and down with the flywheel?

I'd you have got your rocker covers off, the easiest way I find I'd to turn the engine over, watch the valve get pushed down and allow it to return to the top, if you then continue and watch the other valve start to move down you know that the first valve you started of with will be free and you can now proceed to adjust it.

Does that make sense?

Turn the engine over by hand in its correct direction and when the inlet valve opens then closes thats the stroke your after.
On the fly wheel line the mark up with the notch at midnight.

hmm not really (im new). i got the T on my flywheel lined up with the knotch on the engine and the cam timing is correct.

when im rotating the flywheel left and right the valves are not moving. if i turn the flywheel 360 degrees then twist it, the valves move up and down with the twist.... make sense?

hmm not really (im new). i got the T on my flywheel lined up with the knotch on the engine and the cam timing is correct.

when im rotating the flywheel left and right the valves are not moving. if i turn the flywheel 360 degrees then twist it, the valves move up and down with the twist.... make sense?

Hey Hock,

Try rotating the flywheel, so that u can see the top valve push inwards, then keep rotating and watch the bottom one go inwards also. What you need to do, is keep rotating the flywheel until the '"T" lines up with the notch, and both valves are open (or not pushed inwards)

Hope this is some help atleast..

cheers will try again tomorrow

No worries, also check the that the inlet valve (top) is set at .003 and the outlet valve (bottom) is set at .004 but make sure that the "T" on the flywheel is still lined up with the notch.

Post back and let us know how you go

I forgot to mention, that it's good habit to probably remove the plug lead from the plug. ;)

And also if u find it to hard to turn by hand, to make things easier you can also remove the plug if you need to.

I forgot to mention, that it's good habit to probably remove the plug lead from the plug. ;)

And also if u find it to hard to turn by hand, to make things easier you can also remove the plug if you need to.

Or you can use a socket on the flywheel nut to turn the engine ;)

Latest posts

Back