Engine Swap

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowno24

Reaction score
Hey guys! Pretty new here and have been reading through the forum and it has been very helpful so far!

This past weekend I came to a conclusion that it's time for a new engine...(due to the old one getting it's crankcase completely cracked). The bike I have is a cheap little SSR 125. I was wondering what I can throw on it with out making and major modifications. I saw a Liflan 125 for a decent price, but was wondering if I can go bigger? Also what will I need if I do get a new engine; new clutch cable, carb, etc? Lastly... Is my cheap little SSR frame capable of having a larger engine on it, or is it an accident waiting to happen!?

A little info on my bike:
Protaper bars
Protaper grips
Protaper throttle
Aluminum billet shift lever/ kickstarter
MSR racing clutch lever
(not to many upgrades yet :( but I am planning to get a nice carb and exhaust soon!)

Thanks!
Spence

Life is a garden... Dig it!

bike engine

hey spence , im sure the ssr frame will take any engine that uses the crf50 mounting ,so you could u can fit anything from a 50cc through to a 150cc lifan ,basically all the pipes are of similar bend forthese crf mount engines(yx motors,klx their pipes are different),diameters may be slightly different,but wont be by much,as for carby a 50-125 cc will work with a 16-22mm carby and a 125-150cc will work with a 19mm-26mm carby. you may need to fiddle the tuning abit . as for your frame as a general rule all cheap chinese pitbike frames are of **** quality,the steel is average and so are the welds,i would first make sure your frame is in good condition(no rust,dents,cracks) then ask someone who can mig weld to go over the frame and make sure the the welds are of good quality if not reweld them. you may find that you dont have to fix any of the welds .if all is good you can safely drop a 150cc in it. just keep in mind that all bikes and riders have there limits weather it be a jap,euro or china bike, if you ride bikes outside of their design limits it will break and generally will bust you up hard. if you want a pitty to go fast,it must be able to stop,if you have the balls to do 80foot jumps on it make sure your frame and suspension is built for the landing otherwise it will hurt! trust me i learnt the hard way by collapsing my bike in half off a 65ft talbe top ,got it all wrong landed flat folded my underbuilt bike, my right knee completely blew out ,couldnt walk for 4months ,to this day i cant feel my knee,total nerve damage,seizes up in winter. needless to say my current bike is rock solid,with genuine ohlins rear shock and custom fronts i weigh a 100kgs and could jump 70 footers all day.

hey jmjr,
some spaces between sentences will make your post more readable,
and some between paragraphs etc too
eg- here's how your post woul look with more spoaces.

hey spence , im sure the ssr frame will take any engine that uses the crf50 mounting ,
so you could u can fit anything from a 50cc through to a 150cc lifan ,
basically all the pipes are of similar bend forthese crf mount engines(yx motors,klx their pipes are different),
diameters may be slightly different, but wont be by much,
as for carby a 50-125 cc will work with a 16-22mm carby and a 125-150cc will work with a 19mm-26mm carby. you may need to fiddle the tuning abit .

as for your frame as a general rule all cheap chinese pitbike frames are of **** quality,
the steel is average and so are the welds,i would first make sure your frame is in good condition(no rust,dents,cracks)
then ask someone who can mig weld to go over the frame and make sure the the welds are of good quality if not reweld them. you may find that you dont have to fix any of the welds .
if all is good you can safely drop a 150cc in it. just keep in mind that all bikes and riders have there limits whether it be a jap,euro or china bike, if you ride bikes outside of their design limits it will break and generally will bust you up hard.
if you want a pitty to go fast,it must be able to stop,
if you have the balls to do 80foot jumps on it make sure your frame and suspension is built for the landing otherwise it will hurt!
trust me i learnt the hard way by collapsing my bike in half off a 65ft talbe top ,got it all wrong landed flat folded my underbuilt bike,
my right knee completely blew out ,couldnt walk for 4months ,to this day i cant feel my knee,total nerve damage,seizes up in winter.
needless to say my current bike is rock solid,with genuine ohlins rear shock and custom fronts i weigh a 100kgs and could jump 70 footers all day.

Last edited:
hey snowno24 , i was wondering i had found an ssr pit bike and cannot figure out where everything goes (electronics) , and was wondering if you could take a couple of photos for me f where the wires connect if you could it would be appreciated!.

Any crf50 /ct110/ klx110 type engine will go in there mate, you can go from as little as a 50cc to as big as 160cc (chinese production line engines) consisting of Lifan, ducar, loncin, daytona etc etc

Rickstar... When I get home from work I can snap some pics.
Everyone else, thanks for all the input... I just ordered a liflan 125 due to money being tight :( and i plan on getting a OKO 24mm flat side carbie. I'll update you when the engine comes in!

Life is a garden... Dig it!

Latest posts

Back