Engine temperature

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3D3v1Ly

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to be painting my engine as its a bit tatty, anyone know what temperature the engine hits at maximum? Need to find some good quality paint but not spending £25-40 on 1 tin for painting.

not sure on the exact temp but normal high temp engine paint should do the job, the same stuff they have at supercheap or autobahn..

In uk here, not heard of them. We have places like autoparts, halfords, autosave. lol.

umm where do you buy spray paint from over there? do you have a brand called white knights?
they have a high temp spray paint here and its 20 bucks a can which is bout 10 pound. and the paint lasts pretty well on exhausts.

Ermm never heard of it but could be out there. Called up my local auto parts sho, 500 degrees resistant paint is £5.99 a can. Not too bad.

Once thing i have read about on internet is that painting engine will make it run higher temperature as the air cant cool it as well. Is this a really big problem? I do have an oil cooler but not yet fitted as dont have the plate for engine.

emm shouldnt heat it up too much it will be about .5mm - 1mm of paint not very thick and shouldnt make much difference, befor painting ya engine spray shitload of degreaser on it(cover all openings and wires) to help clean in the cracks...

im going to put 2 coats of paint on it, should i put laquer on it? Only 1mm? I assumed would be about 3mm.

mmm now i think about it true, ok you think the barrel and head will get above 200 degrees?

yeah pretty much any hi-temp paint will do the job, and given your in scotland, i cant imagine engine cooling would be too much of an issue based on paint layers lessening the cooling effect on the engine.

if your worried about the paint thinkness you could use paint stripper to remove the original crap thats on it now...
and nice to see you put your location up.. :)

haha yeah id thought i would give you my whereabouts at least, lol. i mostly use this at work so dont have any pictures for my profile or the time to really put anything on it. I bought VHT ( very high temp ) paint, up to 650 degrees c, this should be enough i would think? haha. yeah im going to strip the paint. ive done both engine casings, just cylinder to do and middle part of engine. bike basically looks brand new now.

Quite proud of my paint job on the bike.

Yeah will do. foot pegs and right hand casing done last night along with rear brake pedal. Only thing that looks 2nd hand now is the plastics, gona get a carbon fibre lookalike tank for it

Latest posts

Back