Exhaust lump

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_rides_stp

Reaction score
hey, well today I took my exhaust of so I can do the big bore and when I looked in the head end there was like a weld of lump round it,

If I filed this off will it give better exhaust flow, or is this bad

Will it be better with this gone for the 88 and will it make it louder

I will still be using the baffel to keep it quiet if this helps

Thanks

File the bastard out!

I've done this to all my pipes , just careless welding in quantity - you cant really pay attention to little details like this. You'll find on most decent aftermarket pipes much more care is taken in the welding of the header seem.
Its a smart mod to file this out as the stock header is tiny and little welds like these block a few mm's of the internal diameter.

Does not affect the strength of the seem either! Won't make it louder and should improve flow.

Go straight ahead mate , no worries!

Exactly what unit said! I have seen 32mm pipes that only had a 23mm opening inside because of the careless cheap welds and thats not a good thing. A Dremel is a great tool for this type of work.

Exactly what unit said! I have seen 32mm pipes that only had a 23mm opening inside because of the careless cheap welds and thats not a good thing. A Dremel is a great tool for this type of work.

Spot on! My old mso pipe was measured at the muffler connection ( not tapered) at 32mm ID , the begining of the header below the flange had excess weld of around 4mm at the seem inside.
Dremel is good , but I lack a dremel so I just used a semi-circular bastard file and some sandpaper. Worked good!

Reccomended mod to anyone with any mini without a decent aftermarket pipe on it! Well worth the effort!

Latest posts

Back