Exhaust went really hot!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozza

Reaction score
Well I got my bike together today and started it for the first time, rode it down the backyard a bit and noticed the exhaust (well atleast I think it was the exhaust) part that comes out of the engine (not the end) was bright red! It was glowing from heat. Like I said before though I'm not 100% it's the exhaust. It was part of it at least.

There's a rubber tube lose (it came like that) that isn't plugged into anything I think it might be that but I have no idea where it goes, I couldn't find any spots. There's also a 2nd rubber tube going to no where but it is sitting in a little bracket thing.

Here are some pics of the part that was bright red (part of the exhaust)

And here are pics of the tubes:

So does anyone think it could be the tubes not being connected to anything causing this? Are they supposed to provide cooling? If they are where to they go. If they aren't then what could it be?

Thanks.

the tubes are just brathers for the carby they are not supose to be connected to any thing so just leave them as for the exhaust i have no idea why it got soo farrking hot??

Oh ok, I thought that they might just be breathers. Thanks anyway, hopefully someone else might know.

I would be calling the seller right now.
A few questions.
Did you check the oil before you started the engine?
How long did you let it idle before you rode it?
Was it idling or was it revving hard?
How far did you ride before you noticed the exhaust glowing red?
As Divy said the tubes have nothing to do with your problem.
An exhaust that hot can mean expensive problems.
Give it an oil change before starting it again. 900ml of mineral oil and check the level, then see what happens

Sounds like its running lean! But hey ride at nightime and you will notice glowing anyway... but in your situation definitally sounds like your leaning out..

I would be calling the seller right now.
A few questions.
Did you check the oil before you started the engine?
How long did you let it idle before you rode it?
Was it idling or was it revving hard?
How far did you ride before you noticed the exhaust glowing red?
As Divy said the tubes have nothing to do with your problem.
An exhaust that hot can mean expensive problems.
Give it an oil change before starting it again. 900ml of mineral oil and check the level, then see what happens

1. Yeah, pretty sure we checked the oil. I'll check that again though.
2. Hmmm, about 30 seconds maybe.
3. Ummm, idling I think.
4. A minute at the most.

It also took us some time before it actually started.

Edit: Just went out to check the oil. I know there's oil in it, not sure how much. Just the amount it came with. Could the oil be the problem?

Last edited:
wouldnt hurt to replace the canola that it comes with

maybe run it for a minute with the choke on, see if the extra fuel stops it heating up so quick?

i havent noticed mine glowing at all, tho i burnt myself really badly on it. if it rides ok then its probably not that lean

I emailed the seller and he said it sounds like the timing and he's gonna give me a step by step on how to do it.

I don't think it would be safe to ride on though when it's like that. It was bright red and you could smell it.

Also, what do you guys mean by lean?

Lean means there is too much air and not enough fuel being fed to your engine via the carby (the carby is the thing with the loose hoses you were looking at). Rich is the opposite of lean which means there is too much fuel. Applying the choke restricts the airflow resulting in a rich mix to help start a cold engine.

Your problem could be any of the above mentioned but I agree that you should change your oil to Motul 1000 or any mineral 10w 40 motorcycle oil.

I assume that you dont live near the joint that you bought it from to return it to them. If so I would try to negotiate for them to pay for you to get a bike shop to look at it for you as they should sell a product that runs correctly brand new.

Hope this helps

its chinese yeh? Then I'd say it was definitely lean. Thts how they are. Get the mixture done. Chance are you only paid 800 for it so you'd have some more cash to spend on a mechanic. Also the exhaust is probably made thin like a beer can so it will glow anyhow.(they have to cut corners to make these 'bikes' so cheap) oh and unless its an auto clutch I wouldn't use mineral oil in it. Put a good quality semi synthetic oil in it.

Dont attempt to adjust timing if ur a NEWB to engines and pitbikes
as even with detailed instructions u could destroy ur engine

ring PITPRO back and say u want a replacment engine as u shouldnt have to adjust timming on a brand new bike untill its been run in and the chain has stretched

but in my mind its a leaning out problem as to much air and not enough fuel and ur basically detonating on the piston

anyways dont bother and get him to send u out a new engine :)

hey,

u said it the exhuast was glowing? this happend 2 my mates ducar 125 engine but, he didnt notice it wen he was riding and it caught on fire in the bush.

i couldnt find a reason for why it got really hot so quickly, the exhust pipe was chrome 2 start off with then started 2 turn blue and colours and started 2 smoke.

The rule of thumb is if ur lower exaust ever turns anything other than a clean gold or bronzey colour on the china bikes it tends to mean ur bikes running hell lean and its not beacause u have a fully hectick titanium fmf system :)

Even when new and unmodified, some good quality engines do this. As long as the bike runs fine (mixture correct), this has got do to with good and high compression. It should be no cause for alarm. I've only been able to see this on a Zhongshen engine so far.

However, there may be other faults and aside from what has been said about the oil, it may also be that the factory missed fitting in an insulating gasket in between the head and the pipe.

Timing could be one fault but unless it is really off (either way), it hardly will be the cause. You should notice it by running too sluggish (retarted) or too torquey and very flat on high revs with some knocking noise off the engine (advanced).

Keep us posted on how it goes and what you find in the end.

its chinese yeh? Then I'd say it was definitely lean. Thts how they are. Get the mixture done. Chance are you only paid 800 for it so you'd have some more cash to spend on a mechanic. Also the exhaust is probably made thin like a beer can so it will glow anyhow.(they have to cut corners to make these 'bikes' so cheap) oh and unless its an auto clutch I wouldn't use mineral oil in it. Put a good quality semi synthetic oil in it.

Most people including the manufactures suggest that a mineral oil be used until the engine is run in. After the run in period it is better to use a semi synethic oil.

^^ +1

also, if it is a lean problem, and letting it idle with the choke on stops it glowing so quickly, then play with the mixture screw... not sure if its a air screw or fuel screw, but try half a turn richer.

the carby is probably the single highest quality component on a pitpro, even if it isnt genuine mikuni. could be set wrong tho

ive red somewere not to even run the motors on that oil its only there to prevent rusting of internals when shiping from chinga vil and i couldent see your exhaust glowing red from 30 secs of run time even if it was running fucked. if motor is fucked ask 4 a new one dont take the risk if you dont no what your doing

Latest posts

Back