Fast Ace and other Fork Lengths??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitboss125

Reaction score
I need to replace the forks on my 05 thumpstar with something of a similar length. I was wondering if someone with fastace as02s or as03s could tell me the length from the center of the axle to the top of the outer fork tube (like i have shown in the image) Could you please tell me the lengths of when the fork has no weight on at them at all (front wheel is off the ground), and also the length when they are supporting the bikes weight. This would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me

Attachments

• measured.JPG
    measured.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 40
the AS02's/AS03's and the Marzocchi Shiver ect are all 655mm, which I believe is a standard for most minis.

this causes me a issue, when I want to replace my AGB29's forks, and theyare 710mm .. argh!

if your going to replace your forks on a "thumpstar" genuine, I'd go straight for the marzocchis.. they are far superior to the fastace suspension, and you only need to add/take a little oil to stop them or make them bottom out like a "Proper" Motocross fork. The marzocchis are proper fully hydraulic forks, with open bath hydraulic cartridges. Which means the oil that dampens the fork, also lubricates the sliders and slider seals. (the fork has proper Oil seals on the slider) forks like the Fastace don't run open bath lubrication. which means they wear out quicker, and always have more stiction and less constant action, as well as overheating quicker.

ALL "Real" Motorbike forks run Open bath lubrication. because maintainence and adjustment is simple and seldom required.

However.. the marzocchis are nearly double the money.. doh!

Juls

Last edited:
the AS02's/AS03's and the Marzocchi Shiver ect are all 655mm, which I believe is a standard for most minis.

this causes me a issue, when I want to replace my AGB29's forks, and theyare 710mm .. argh!

if your going to replace your forks on a "thumpstar" genuine, I'd go straight for the marzocchis.. they are far superior to the fastace suspension, and you only need to add/take a little oil to stop them or make them bottom out like a "Proper" Motocross fork. The marzocchis are proper fully hydraulic forks, with open bath hydraulic cartridges. Which means the oil that dampens the fork, also lubricates the sliders and slider seals. (the fork has proper Oil seals on the slider) forks like the Fastace don't run open bath lubrication. which means they wear out quicker, and always have more stiction and less constant action, as well as overheating quicker.

ALL "Real" Motorbike forks run Open bath lubrication. because maintainence and adjustment is simple and seldom required.

However.. the marzocchis are nearly double the money.. doh!

Juls

according to elstars website, fastace as02s are 700mm

There not marzocchi shivers. There the cheap unadjustable version that you see on the latest motovert pro and experts and terra motos. And out of the box They are not better then the fastace.

They would still be SSV, which still shits on anything from fastace, even though there is no "dial" adjustments on the marzocchi.

the damping can still easily be changed by oil weigh and height.
Very easy to work on forks. any idiot can do it.

the fastace is another issue altogether when it comes maintainence time, or adjustments outside of the adjusters on top of the fork.

Juls

ok. well there too long anyway, the shivers wouldnt be to long but then again i cant afford them. so could someone that owns a set of fastace as02s please measure them for me...

the copys have rebound adjust. ive got a set if you are after some

From what i can see,

the Marzocchis on ebay are 655mm,
the Fastace AS03 is 655mm
the Fastace AS02 is somewhere between 700 and 750mm (I have about 3-4 sources with both 700 and 750mm written)

Juls

eBay Australia: Genuine FASTACE AS02 ADJUSTABLE USD FORKS PITBIKE CRF (item 230118904435, end time 23-Apr-07 20:00:00 AEST)

AS02's are back on ebay I noticed.. after digging up an old auction, and asking if the guy still had them, he's relisted.

interestingly enough.

AS03 too.

eBay Australia: Genuine FASTACE AS03 ADJUSTABLE USD FORKS PITBIKE CRF (item 230118071786, end time 19-Apr-07 20:23:57 AEST)

AS02 750mm C/C AS03 655mm C/C I think thats actually the difference in the 2 forks.. nothing to do with softness/hardness ect.. the AS03 is shorter and less travel. AS02 is longer with more travel..

IE: AS03 suits Pitpro/Thumpstar ect, AS02 suits AGB29 ect.

Thats all I can figure from the limited information laying around.

Juls

no the as-02 have the same c/c as the as-03 they are a different series and are different, the as-02 have a c/c of 645 to 650

and yes the as-03 have a softer spring making them more prone to bottoming out

Well the AS02 DHZ have is 750mm C/C and the AS03 they have is 655mm..

thats what they told me..

go figure.

The AS-02 and AS-03 have differences in materials, weight and options. Do a search and you'll find the explanation. To long to write again!
The new AS-02's are superb forks once set up correctly. They can be ordered ex factory in two lengths. I think DHZ has the long set. I have a DHZ set I'm setting up for a bloke ATM and will give you an accurate length when I get back to the shed. The genuine fastace top triple clamp also has a step down which increases fork height on the bike as well. You will notice all China bikes that use them run flat clamps. I like them in full height when setting up a midsize 12/14" bike. Any way you can run them up the clamps to your prefered height and rake.

Juls you obviously have the know how to setup your forks properly, you will not have too much trouble setting these up exactly how you like! There is no area of performance that is not quite easily set. You can play with dual rate springs and preload, different oil weights for rebound and compression, shim options, negative spring rates and air piston height. Then once they are close to perfect and closed up again you have a full range of adjustability through air chamber pressure separate for both rebound and compression legs and both the clickers working right through the entire range of clicks.
What more do you want?

Thanks for clearing that up Mack, you seem to be one of the few people that actually know there shit on this sight.

AS-02's are 645 mm from axle centreline to the top edge of the tubes ! The triple clamps drop the top of the tubes by 20 mm which means you can add that to the 645 mm to come up with 665 mm from the base of the handle bar risers to the axle centreline ! The overall length is 750 mm . The bar risers are 57 mm tall from the top of the triple clamp .

Vickers Motorcycles in East Maitland NSW race Thumpstars and they told me they've tried everything and found the Fast Ace AS-02's to be better than Marzocchis - they said they were unimpressed by the zochs . They showed me that most people over-tighten the Fast Ace triple clamps and because they are forged , they have enough power to flex the fork tubes in so that they grab onto the sliders inside . They only need to be tightened by the least amount necessary to stop them from slipping in the clamps ! The guy walked up to a customers bike that was in for a service and said "watch this" . He pushed the front suspension up and down , showing me that it was stiff and binding , then he loosened the allen head screws on the triple clamps and the front end jumped up an inch , then the forks worked spot on . Another thing is that people use the wrong axles and spacers which pull the forks in when the axle nut is tightened !

Fast Ace forks are designed to work with a special axle with adjustable spacers and no thread or nut just like the bigger MX bikes have . The axle is locked in place by tightening the 4 allen head screws at the bottom of the fork . Basically , you need to make sure that the wheel and axle spacers are the exact same width as the free standing forks and have no play at all before you tighten up the four allen head bolts - then if your axles have a nut , just nip it up lightly - use loctite or something so it can't come undone but do not over tension it . If everything is done right you'll find that your forks will work smoothly and last as long as they were designed to !

Just measured the forks this arvy and they are 645mm from centre of axle to the fork cap. These are DHZ forks. They have a full 6 inches travel as well. Remember though they have the stepped clamps which give you and extra bit of height and make them roughly 700mm to the bar clamps.

EDIT - ya justed pipped me at the post cactus! I am obviously wrong on the extra stepped height...didn't measure that just going by memory.

Latest posts

Back