fines for illegal riding nsw

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clunky64

Reaction score
A friend of mine was recently booked for riding a unregistered pitbike on unfenced private property,it was not his property and he did not have permission to ride there these were his fines
unregistered bike $690
uninsured $460
no license 600
non complianr helmet $620
being a public nuisance $290
fraud (told police he had permission) $450

took it to court got let off on non compliant helmet as helmet was compliant
he also had his 10 y old son with him and was told by the court he was lucky not to have been booked the same for his son as his son was illegaly riding with his knowledge

unfenced private property is classed as a public thouroughfare and hence you cant ride an unregidtered bike on it for liability reasons,even if it is your own property

FENCED PRIVATE PROPERTY IS THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN RIDE AN UNREGISTERED BIKE LEGALLY,

What a joke the cops need to get a life and start catching real criminals fineing someone riding a bike with there son is just low and the places/tracks you can ride are all closed so where are you supposed to ride coz not everyone has access to a private property

whoa... thats some serious money! Fun police have definitely stepped it up a notch!
would be awesome if the councils started pro-actively helping us.. IE, making it easier to set up moto parks, would help getting illegal riders off public land... but I guess they wouldnt make as much revenue!

I mean, from brisbane to sunshine coast there is mile and miles of land, but you still have to go all the way to kenilworth! Its the same everywhere you go.. we have plenty of space in thie country!!!

Who recons a "mini bike only" park would be good? Just for minis and kids... a family type park?
Less dangerous due to much smaller jumps, and no high powered bikes... I think councils should jump at something like this????

Thanks for the info and warning mate. i am thinking of getting into stunt riding and by the looks of it the only real way to do it would be with a register 600cc with all the stun gear on it. you have possibly just saved me a hell of alot of money in fines and the price of a useless unregistered stunt bike.

Thanks for the info and warning mate. i am thinking of getting into stunt riding and by the looks of it the only real way to do it would be with a register 600cc with all the stun gear on it. you have possibly just saved me a hell of alot of money in fines and the price of a useless unregistered stunt bike.

rego'ed stunting brings a heap of different fines lol if caught on the streets or any public road.. dangerous driving and undue care just to name a couple..

but yeah i agree the cops need to back off a bit, could of at least gave a warning. but on the other hand it may of been just as easy to ask the property owner if he was aloud there... catch 22

everyone knows the rules but I still see jokers riding the streets all the time on their minis. this gives minis a bad name with the public & the police.

do it right......

Where was this? In a built up area in sydney? Surely it woudnt be the same treatment way out in the bush or country would it?
Its pretty ridiculous... high range drink driving, and burnouts / street racing gets less of a fine, and is so dangerous to the public... riding a pit bike on a empty piece of land is of no danger to the public at all! Just noisy, and possibly dangerous to the rider!....
Its crazyness.... cops need to focus on REAL problems and crimes...

End of the day the cops are just doing what they've been told/trained to do. Sucks it's so much money but can't really see it changing any time soon.

cops need to focus on REAL problems and crimes...

Illegal riding is a REAL problem, and a problem that unfortunately wont go away which will make stories such as the above more common.

End of the day the cops are just doing what they've been told/trained to do. Sucks it's so much money but can't really see it changing any time soon.

Agree with ya there Ruggs.

Everything has to be looked at in context.....

This individual has had the book thrown at him yes, but to have been nailed that badly he must've been giving the copper heaps!! Instead of "yes sir" and moving along I'd say he's started the back chat and copped a further fine for every additional comment.... LOLOLOL.

I have some cop mates who Ive asked, and they have told me it is really up to the officers discression on what action to take. They also noted that it is definately not a high ranking criminal offence in regards to what they are actually trying to do for the public....
Riding on the road or public/walking tracks etc is not on, but im talking about way out in the bush where there is no chance of annoying anyone...

This guy must have either been a major smart-ass, or the officer was really on a power trip...

See this thread...http://www.miniriders.com/references/31547-nsw-police-force.html

Just shows it can go either way.. depending who you get and how you act!

I know our police here in victoria have there own motto.

In America their motto is "To Serve And Protect!"

Victoria Police: "To Fine And Collect!!$$$!!"

the only prob with makin it easier for ppl to ride bikes etc is public liability as alot of ppl are out there that would ride.. stack.. sue.. making moto parks etc a dying breed which sux as it just takes afew @#$wits to ruin everything.. as to riding on roads etc u do that at ya own risk.. u wanna ride n be a goose.. prepare to fork out cash.. but i agree cops n councils should be pro active.. like local landfill sites.. they cant build houses etc for 10-20 yrs y not build moto parks gettin kids involved in riding.. gettin of streets and helpin keepin pl fit fightin obesity and jobs etc..theresalot of things that should change.. hope one day it does.. til then just ride priv prop!!

this was on a property at Gwandalan near the track where we race minis,it is a spot where people take their kids to ride every weekend and still do,his son was on a 50cc quad and it was only his second time on a bike,he said he was not rude to the cop but he said it all turned bad when he asked the cop to give him a break he was just spending time with his son i would say BAD COP,al
final fine after court was $2600

Well, that is absolute horse s**t mate... feel sorry for the bloke... I'd be fighting that with everything I had... Its on private property, so there should be no fines except trespass if anything at all.. Id even try to call the owner of the land and see if he would give me some sort of letter to say he let me ride on there....
I can see why they need to do this for dangerous riders on high powered bikes causing public nuisance and safety problems... but a little kid and his dad watching?

This sort of stuff gets me so worked up! We actually pay their wages with our insane taxes, and we as the public own the public land, not the public servants!!!

Governments & councils definitely should work something out and have an area set outside of every town for this kind of activity...Like a motorsport free play area or something...

I mean, they have skate parks in every town... image how many injurys come out of ramps and bowls all over australia??? users dont even sign any indemnity forms and they are fine! Whats the difference?

Well, that is absolute horse s**t mate... feel sorry for the bloke... Its on private property, so there should be no fines except trespass if anything at all..

i remember reading somewhere i cant remember where but apparently the land has to be fenced off and as for the tresspassing fine i dont think he couldnt of got arround that

Latest posts

Back