First time rider ...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoletheshow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just bought my first ever bike, an Atomik Moto X 125cc Pit Dirk Bike Thumpstar.
I've been reading a little about them and understand they are a cheap bike and as such I don't expect much, to be honest it's the first bike I'll ever ride when it turns up. I've done a little more research and found on that pit bikes are tiny little bikes ... is what I've bought a normal size dirt bike? Confused!!

I hope someone can help.

Thanks guys

Here's a link to the bike.

NEW ATOMIK MOTOX 125CC PIT DIRT BIKE MOTOR THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 30-Aug-09 15:00:00 AEST)

It's a mid-sized bike, not tiny but not big either, just right :)

there's some good threads in the tech and tutorial section you should have a read around so you know what to do to stop the bike from falling apart when you get it, basically put engine oil in and locktight all your bolts!

any problems with the bike and we're more than happy to help, have fun and welcome to the forum :D

i had one they are a bit fragile but go good just loctie the bolts a doublr check everything. what sort of riding do you do???

yeah fragile is a good word to describe it (much better than s#!t lol), just don't go doing jumps and it should be fine, but be prepared to send some $$ fixing it, luckily parts are cheap as chips for pitbikes
what sort of riding do you do???
I don't think he does any kind of riding as he's never ridden before lol :p

Hey guys ..... thanks for the replies. To be brutally honest I have NEVER ridden before, it will be the first time when I get the back together and running so I won't be doing anything tricky on the bike. I've bought it to learn the basics of riding and if I get hooked I'll buy a better quality bike later.

I'm 6'0 and about 80kgs ... I've read a little about the bike and see that it tends to bottom out on the front forks, is that due to jumping? Or people being too big for the bike?

Will everything need Loctite'ing ??? The more advice you can give the better.

Thanks guys

just take care of it service and dont thrash it to hard. Unlike mine i stuffed it in the first week :(

the engine mount bolts to the frame, exhaust flange nuts, foot pegs and I suppose every thing works loose but as part of every item that requires servicing all thing needs to be checked just clean the bike after every ride run a spanner over the bike get a uni- filter and clean it as well and change the oil regularly

Guys, what type of oil do you recommend I put in? I've read that the oil the bike is supplied with is only for transporting the bike. Thanks for the assistance .... or do you all think I should default on this bike and buy something better? Remember though that I'm only a learner and don't have all the skills you guys do when it comes to riding over jumps, bumps etc ... I'll be taking it easy for a while

it is a good bike to learn on but don't over do it the front fork oil may need to changed to a heavier weight but i am 5.7 about 80kgs and it went well with me doubling my 13 year old at about 50kgs up hill

Thanks again ... with the filter ... should I buy one now before the bike arrives? What should I ask for at the shop? Remember, I've never done this before.

motul is the go make sure it is a mineral based oil it will be writting on the front of the bottle one 1 liter bottle is all you will need it takes about 800mls but just check the dip stick when you change it

Hey guys ..... thanks for the replies. To be brutally honest I have NEVER ridden before, it will be the first time when I get the back together and running so I won't be doing anything tricky on the bike. I've bought it to learn the basics of riding and if I get hooked I'll buy a better quality bike later.
well we all start somewhere, you'll also learn the basics of bike maintenance and repair because these bikes need a LOT of both
I've read a little about the bike and see that it tends to bottom out on the front forks, is that due to jumping? Or people being too big for the bike?
probably a combination of both, if you have this problem just change the fork oil and away you go
Will everything need Loctite'ing ??? The more advice you can give the better.

yes everything except the bolts that hold the engine together, it takes about a hour to go over the bike but it's worth it when things aren't falling off from the vibration, just use a little speck of blue (medium strength) locktight like the size of a sesame seed on each bolt

Thanks mate ... is there any specific type? Do I just look for Motul mineral based oil? Are they all the same? As you can tell I've got no idea. lol

just use the standard air filter for the first two times depending on the dust conditions you will need to measure the out edge of the carby for the size a fraction smaller would be better fit

Thanks guys ... all your advice is appreciated. Is there any specific maintenance routine you guys follow after a ride?

Re: the air filter .... what would I be looking for re: uni filter? Will it fit on the bike without alterations?

i think it is motul 80?? can't remeber just ask the shop and read the bottle first if not to sure leave it and send mea PM and i will reply

the air filter needs no mods the routine clean bike, adjust chain, clean filter, check all cables, check tyre pressures, run spanner on the bike ALL bolts not just the one you can get to easy

motul for a china bike is overkill, castrol 4t is perfect only about $35 anywhere.
If you have a chance to get something better than take it for sure, atomik bikes are no good especially for a beginner, have a look at dhz on ebay you can trust them they'll take care of ya, atomik only want your money and couldn't care less once they've made the sale

have a good look in here too Bike Setup!!! - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

you need to oil your airfilter too otherwise it just sucks dust into the engine

lol I have a pitpro and their parts backup is ridiculous, most stuff is double retail costs, they're ok with customer service and have helped me out a few times looking for strange parts but overall they fail, the bikes are ok but mine is a major lemon while my bro's never has any problems

Latest posts

Back