Flames, Glowing exahst, Backfiring

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your header pipe is loose it lets air in and it shoots out the back in the forum of flames looks quit cool tho, will only hurt your muffler packing and anyone or thing behind you

Is there any chance your exhaust bolts are loose at the outlet? This is what happened to mine, it kept backfiring & shooting flames out the zorst with the extra air being sucked in. It's just a suggestion but sometimes the simple things can be overlooked & an easy fix!

OK i just went out and had a look, it appears without getting a spanner out that yes the head of the exhaust seems to move around a bit ( i can move it by pulling on it with my hand).

I hope now if i tighten it this may do it.

If you can move it around with your hand then it's definitely part of the problem. Tighten those bolts & it should stop the fireworks :) and keep the bolts in check as they do come loose pretty quick

just tightened it, lasted a fair bit longer without glowing this time maybe 5mins.

Started to glow, not as obvious (had to turn the shed lights out to see)
Couldnt get it to shoot flames by revving it.

But when i hit the kill switch about 1 second after the motor dying, sure enough... flame shoots out.

This is pissing me off bad!

i some times purposelessly loosen the header pipe just to show off to some bum dragging cars down the street i say i make better sparks/flames then rock up on a pitty they laugh then they ask where di get the thrower kit hahahaha

You know cuse its in a shed revving its gonna get super hot take it for a ride in the arvo round the black a few times i say see how it goes for glowing ohh stupid Q do you have oil in the bugger?

Last edited:
yeh sunny its got the right amount of oil in it, and it should'nt be getting to hot i have a big garage and it is fairly cold outside here in melbourne so i doubt it will be that

so you have checked your carby?
tried a different cdi?
check the spark plug gap?
tried different fuel?

Havent looked at the carbie yet. Spark plug gap is just standard as they come. Don't have a spare CDI (soon to get one if this doesnt work)

I think it didnt solve it 100% because this is what my exhaust gasket looks like....

Ordering a copper one of DHZ

yea those corrugated xorst gaskets are prone to that, if they come loose even for a second they spiral out, copper gaskets hold alot better but the second those bolts come loose you need to chuck a new gasket in ;)

Copper, shmopper... Pull a street sign down and use the plush aluminium baby! :p

Ok, I better say here thanks to all for putting up with this long ass problem of mine.

So i got the new exhaust gasket today and put that it, went in fine tightened the exhaust up nice and tight.

Started it, let it run for 5 mins, gave it a few revs.... and yep still glowing.

So have i bent a valve or should i be looking in the direction of CDI Coil or Carb next?

carb man.. pull it apart and tell us what jets its running..

but idling for long periods without airflow will cause it to glow a bit man...
but usually the glow will go when you rev it..

ok thanks sean. ill pull it down tomorrow arvo. Somethings defiantly going wrong. I burnt my hand on the dam intake manifold taking the carb off.

Latest posts

Back