flogged lower shock bushing

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
just went to move the pitpro thing in the shed, and it went 'clunk-clunk' when I lift the back wheel... Bugger...

Flogged lower shock mount but whats the go with replacing them? Need the bike on the weekend, so its going to have to wait, but whats the go? Replaceable bushing/bearing or does the shock eye flog out? Can't be bothered tearing it down but would like to get parts ordered so I can get it back togehter when its comes apart..

pitpro 140..

Cheers,

At work we use teflon coated rod, we cut it to the length needed and drill a hole thru the bush and install, it will outlast your shock.

we get it from a local place here in townsville, im not sure what business, but we buy it in 3 metre lengths. Let me know if you cant find anything mate.

is what I'm trying to do common? Surely someone sells something don't they??

Its more common than you could ever imagine, A lot of people leave them flogged. But that is also the prob of the cheaper shock on your bike. Shocks like DNM then up to the ELKAS will never have this prob as thats what you pay for on top of good quality parts. Maybe upgrading your shock is the next mod mate?

lol, steady on :) Its all about the garage fix...!

Guess I need someone to spin something up then...

If its rooted, it needs to be fixed, not left to damage other stuff. The shock works ok (well it goes up and down, without much damping) so it doesn't get any money thrown at it. Plus it becomes another little bit that gets improved on the bike.

So in my idea world, what material would you recommend I get to do the task?

This rod we have is really good gear, ill find out tomoz where we get it from and i will let you know.
Haha, yeah good ole bush mechanics, nothing some spinifex cant fix lol.

Hey mick i'm also interested as the bottom bush on my kawa is gone and I think the bush mechanics way is to use fibreglass tape lol. At least thats what the layland brothers did it in the desert. ( Forgive my spelling)

Hey mick i'm also interested as the bottom bush on my kawa is gone and I think the bush mechanics way is to use fibreglass tape lol. At least thats what the layland brothers did it in the desert. ( Forgive my spelling)

hahaha, just like OMO and water is used as brakefluid.

most bearing shops sell the nylon/teflon rod.

i turned up some urethane bushes for my bikes on my drill press.
bought some car suspension bushes from supercheap that were close on size, they were under $20 the pack.
and they have them hanging on the wall in bags so you can see them.

drill the centre through, then find a bolt nut, washers to go through it and clamp it into the chuck.
turn the drill on,then grab an angle grinder and grind it till it fits into the shocker hole.

you should fix it pretty soon, my bolts for the swing arm mount are abbout 1/2 the size they originally were

Yeah got my'n in bits atm but picked up a nice rod today, have a look, got it from cnc bearings or something in morphett vale for $10. It is made from nylon.

8411212238_89e879b31b_c.jpg

Came the perfect size that I needed.

Sweet lad, that's the gear.

all good,
now you need some pics of the bush making and finished item too.

most bearing shops sell the nylon/teflon rod.

i turned up some urethane bushes for my bikes on my drill press.
bought some car suspension bushes from supercheap that were close on size, they were under $20 the pack.
and they have them hanging on the wall in bags so you can see them.

drill the centre through, then find a bolt nut, washers to go through it and clamp it into the chuck.
turn the drill on,then grab an angle grinder and grind it till it fits into the shocker hole.

Thats the same as i do they work great and last a long time.

FirstI cut it to size
8412291435_8e37b70e6d_c.jpg

Then drill out the centre to the size of the bit that goes through the middle and then bang it in place.
8412291295_8f0df09132_c.jpg

The rod was a little big so I put it in the drill press with a bolt through the middle and while it was spinning I used a angle grinder to shave a bit off. I also tried a disc sander but that just melted it.
8413389634_e4f0b53a32_c.jpg

And yes I will give that shock a good clean!

Latest posts

Back