Fork oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noidea

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these chinese bikes fork oil is rated at, or equivelant to. Ie 5 or 10wt?

I weigh 85kg, is 15wt going to be good for trail riding?

i use 15wt and i weigh 93kg , it seems to work fine i have also fitted a 8mm alloy spacer on top of fork spings. My bike is used for trail and race

i weigh 60kg, suspension seems to soft when it comes to bumpz,

ill test it furthure this weekend when i go for a bigger ride out the bush...

hey roost, i was considering something similar. Did you buy the spacer or machine it up on a lathe? got some pics/info?

milled them up myself, got no pics as they are fitted but can say they work usd forks are not so soft i supose its like fitting heavy dutie springs just increases spring tension

No probz, might give this a go once i get my bike running again...

what did you machine them from?

alloy as it is easyer to mill and i had some laying around , it is 8mm thick and 36mm round i started with 10mm but it made them to stiff.You could make them from mild steel

ah bit clearer now... Sounds like a nice way to save a few $$ on aftermarket springs. Did you bother adjusting fork oil volume?

What I think happens with these forks is that they get ridden on for a while before the shit oil (or no oil) is swapped out. Because they are way too soft this causes the sub standard springs to become permanently compressed. Of all the bikes I've seen and done immediate fork oil replacement on they have all remained very good. Another thing to watch is tying your bike down and compressing the forks too far. Especially don't leave it this way in the back of your ute or trailer for any length of time. (overnight or longer)

Have got an orion, its 1 or 2 years old i think and its forks are in alot better condition than 'ares' bike and ive had it for 3 or so months.

They looks to be the same, so i might swap em over and put the 15wt oil i got in them.

anyone got a good link to a fork oil change 'how to'.

just bought 500ml of 15wt from my bike shop for $10.

on that post guy said he used 10-40 engine oil... first ive herd it. Duno why u wud bother tho, its pretty cheap shit anyway. your only going to need 200ml, 300 max.

Put some spacers in my forks today and drained the oil. I got 175ml out of each. Does this mean 175 shud be going back in? have read they take 100-150ml but im guessing what ever comes out goes back in?

all changed. those spacers made a big difference. Suspension resistance from its max height, and the oil has made it alot stiffer.

cant wait to go riding! thanks guyz

Latest posts

Back