front brake problem :-(

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lochie125

Reaction score
hey
i just bought a 125cc ppit pro bigfoot......i went for my first ride at kilsyth motorbike track and got a puncture. i pulled off the front wheel and the brake pad fell out and it wouldnt fit in. here is were i went rong....i pulled in the front brake leaver wich pushed the round metal thing (i think the piston?) foward and i cant get it back down so therefore i cant put the brake pad in :-( does anyone know how to fix if so could you please tell me. thanks lochie

yeah mate thats normal as just push it in with a screwdriver or something and slide the brake pad back on the slide and open it up wider with a screwdriver before you put your wheel on

Wait don't do that, before prying open the piston, undo the nipple . If not youl f the o-ring and be up for a new caliper

never heard of that before matty.. squeezing the piston like mentioned above is the way its done.
but to add to it, if its a twin or large piston brake then it needs to be squeezed in evenly or it might jam..

hi
i just got back from school and had a look at it i tried the screw driver and it didnt work :-( i took a photo of the brake and piston.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 14
hi
i just got back from school and had a look at it i tried the screw driver and it didnt work :-( i took a photo of the brake and piston.

I'm guessing you pulled the brake lever more than once :p

Looks like you'll need to carefully wiggle a flat headed screw driver in between the pad/piston until you can get more in there to force it open.

Seeing as it's out so far it might pay to take Matty's advice and loosen off the bleed nipple a little (you'll need to bleed your brakes if you get any air in there) :)

I'm too lazy to wander out and look but I suspect you may have lost the retaining clip/bolt for your pad... I would have thought that would be why the pad "fell" out :p

Last edited:
try and keep the piston square to the caliper while gently forcing it back in..

ideally you would want the other brake pad out of the way and use a g clamp to squeeze it back in..

brake pads often fall out of this style front caliper when the wheel is removed.. but yeah there should be a clip in there to keep the pads from vibrating.

hey guys my pa came around and we fixed the problem we got a G clamp and slowly pushed the piston in....i looked for a clip to hold in the brake pad but there wasnt it just slotted in with the piston.
thankyou again

Latest posts

Back